• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exit Strategy for Sign Business

visual800

from what Ive seen the business is worth nothing, equipment is the best bet...and your gonna get your feeling shurt on that also. There is just so much for sale now

cartoad

Just had this discussion with my CPA, a very smart fellow and a friend who sold his business recently (not signs). Both said basically the same things, best bet is to show increasing profitabilty over last few years (should be working smarter the longer a business is running ), including having detailed records. Also having knowledgeable employees that can operate the business so everything does not depend on the owners doing it all (still need some way to transfer owners knowledge base to a new owner in a short time frame, ie proceedures for everything). Basically like everyone else has said, equipment, (at used value), software (all you can get), art work that is transferable, store fixtures (as used value) and some value for the blue sky with many methodes to determine that one.
Basically be ready to adjust what you think it is worth, and put yourself in the buyers shoes.
good luck

thinksigns

SnowFlake
About 1.5 years ago, a national chain that did not have a presence in my city offered to buy my business. The offer was substantially more than just the equipment. At the time, I only had two iMacs and a 24" plotter. I don't know how big your town is, but that could be another option.

G

Ginger

Thanks for all the feedback. I think everyone confirmed what I was already thinking. Not sure what I want to do just yet. I got into the sign business right out of college and I have really not done anything else. I need to make a better living for my family though, more money, fewer hours, less stress, etc. Hopefully we have a very successful summer and see where it goes from there?!

Thanks!
Ginger

brush1

thinksigns.....Corner on the big intersection in Orange County California....with Starback on the back and me on the front.

The Sign Dude

at the end of 2003 I sold my 2 man sign shop with 1 fulltime employee, gerber edge, hs15 plus, graphtec 54", all inventory and computers to one of my customers for over $100k. I had a very loyal customer base but was ready to move on, just like you are now. I would try to sell it myself before contacting a broker. You might be surprised who would be interested.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Selling business options

Ginger,

As stated we are in the information age. There are so many people cruising around searching for this or that. Use it to your advantage and throw some posts out there. State generic info if only to plant a seed, you never know what may happen and your costs are nill.

Naturally offering some short term assistance will help the cause. Or set it up as a deduction off the cost and "hire" the purchaser for a time to permit them meeting your customers and learning the business.

If you want maximum financial returns it will require creative thinking on your part. If you can't generate any bites then pay the broker. I would advise caution letting your customers know you are leaving though. Should anything happen and you end up needing the business it would be best to appear long term.

Best of luck!

Edserv

Be careful if you choose to use a business broker. I've dealt with many who were clueless.
We used www.bizbuysell.com to sell our company (got a letter of intent the same day it was listed.)
Be careful not to under-value your business. Cash flow, annual revenues, and p&l are what most potential investors look at, regardless of the industry. If you have a decent client base and are hitting some numbers, you may be surprised at what you can get. There tons of resources on the web that help with biz evaluation info, and also several good books.
Try putting yourself in a potential buyer's shoes. What would you spend to buy your business? Are you willing to carry any of the paper? If so, this may open up to more potential buyers, just make sure you have a great attorney to write up the contract.
Good luck! Selling your business can be a really exciting event.
Chris