• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Expanding into signs and more...

Trip59

Hi folks! Ah, the first post... too much, too little, what to include :)

I wear many hats and have many interests, just about all of them creative. I work in IT, about to hit 10 years with the company in a month, but that's 'just' my day job. One of my main passions is teaching, which grew out of years of design work. I've done freelance/consulting graphic design, web design and web development since around 99 when an injury ended my Navy career. With some current trends in both higher education as well as web work, my wife and I made the decision to expand and diversify a bit. Our recent expansion brings us into the world of signage, initially cut vinyl, though I'm hoping to dust off my striping kit and expand the painted side as well in the coming months (have to get back into it). I'd love to get into printed graphics, but need to work up to the point of capital for the higher buy in.

Starting out with relatively little capital, but planning to upgrade equipment shortly; I recognize quality and have equipped my other shop (welding/machining/fabrication) with high quality equipment the same way, it just takes a bit of time.

This is starting as a part time venture, nights and weekends, and we'll see how it goes from there, I've already lined up as much work as I can handle, drawing from an existing customer base of satisfied contacts. My wife is taking on the side of heat transfer apparel and is looking to incorporate screen printing within the next year or so.

I have worked with both paint and vinyl before, though not full time, so I have the fundamentals down, but as a professional educator, I recognize that knowledge isn't absolute, nor is it static, so I'm always after 'what's new' and looking for more information.

Trip

Trip59

Thanks for the welcomes folks! Mosh, can't tell the level of sarcasm there, but just to clarify, this is a part time thing to start out, I'm in it for the long haul and hope to learn as much as I can. We're not in the kind of economy that gives me warm fuzzies about taking out huge loans to start a business, so I'm going to grow it from a small seed. I'm sure at a certain point I'll make the decision to jump ship or not in regards to my nice comfy salary, but not starting out and not in the current state of things. I'd rather work three jobs for now and sleep when I'm retired :)

All that said, I'm not doing the 'dirt cheap no overhead' thing, I am approaching this properly and not undercutting everyone out there, in-fact, the last couple I quoted may be a bit higher than some of the nearby shops.

I've really been enjoying all the info on the forum and look forward to continuing to learn and grow, thanks to those who bear with me and offer advice.

Trip

phototec

Welcome from central Texas, yes you do have to start somewhere, Good luck to you and your wife.

And from a fellow veteran, thanks for your service, (Vietnam 1969).

:Welcome: