• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Exploring the Detail and Design Behind Signage in Video Games

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Fallout New Vegas has a lot of good old style and neon signs. Great game too.

From some of these comments, some of you need to take some time off! Work to live not live to work!

JBurton

Signtologist
Brah, that's california, they put safeties on everything. We put catwalks on the front of billboards, but they are narrow af and have a wire for harnesses. The one in this vidja game is deeper than these characters are tall...

Fallout New Vegas has a lot of good old style and neon signs.
Yeah, but truly inaccurate that any neon would survive that far into a nuclear apocalypse... doubt anybody set up their ribbon burners when the ghouls started marching about. Absurdity!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Exactly. And also living life.
Between meth and gamers I weep for the future of our nation.
Ha! I had an upper apartment for rent last week. I put it on FB marketplace to start the process. I got 71 messages in 5 days. By day 3 the best applicant I had was just released from prison for manufacturing and distributing meth. 90% of the people who messaged me had either narcotics charges or evictions. I also had a stripper and a guy dress like a clown holding an AK47. First thing I do I stalk them on FB then try to find their "correct" name and look them up on CCAP (court records). Although it was rather entertaining, I shudder to think what these people do all day and how they get by day after day.

Goes to show the importance of good signage!!!

"No Drug Dealers, Strippers or School Shooters need apply!"

Zac

Mediocre Designer
My favorite part about iRacing is the local signage at the small town circle tracks. That and designing and racing the cars I grew up watching and will never get to actually race.

Funny thing is I probably have just as much time designing wraps/replicas in racing games, where I get to do passion projects and replicas, instead of 'real life' where it's plumbing vans and work trucks all day.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Back before the most of you were born I did a lot of work for Atari. New game prototype cabinets at their facility near Los Gatos CA and windows at various Atari arcades around the Bay Area. All of these were hand lettered since since vinyl didn't exist at that time. I don't remember any profound statements or rules of the game or some sort of game story boards. Just filling otherwise empty spaces with text and images thematic to both Atari and the actual game. I do remember that the guy at Atari, whose name eludes me, that was in charge of getting all of these things done had a thing for gold leaf. I did a lot of schlock gold leaf on this stuff. The point here is don't read a whole hell of a lot into a mere decoration that existed to shake every nickel out of your jeans.