• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior building directory - how/where to install?

gnubler

Working with a client on an exterior tenant directory for a commercial building. The front facade is all windows separated by 7" wide formed pieces of metal trim, which is where the client wants to hang the directory. I'm attaching a mockup showing the basic concept and a close up of the metal trim. The trim is hollow and pretty thin, I was able to push it in a bit just with my finger. I chatted with their maintenance directory who would handle the installation and he said he could reinforce the install area with a thicker piece of metal fastened with toggle screws and figure out a way to hang the directory sign from that. Before I go any further with this I'd appreciate some feedback from the forum. Bad idea? We also discussed the option of installing it across one of the windows, and screwing into the window frames.

In my mockup the directory sign is 18"w x 24"h, fastened with two screws top and bottom. Would that be enough to keep it from teetering on a 7" wide mounting surface behind?

TIA

mockup.JPG metal-trim.jpg

gnubler

Not to mention, that has got to be about the dumbest way I've ever seen hours listed.
Wasn't me. You should've seen the window before, it was a mess. Like someone with a Cricut on crack.

Gino - How would you fasten a sign to the mullions? They're aluminum. Window glass is about 31" wide.

JBurton

Signtologist
Frame it with angle, install frame with 1 or 1.5" self tappers every 8", silicone perimeter to stave off any water intrusion.

gnubler

I've been looking at exterior directories online for inspiration. Here's one that looks narrow and tall. Mine could potentially be 18"w x 32"h to fit 20 tenant names (cut vinyl lettering). In this example, how did they install this on the brick with no thru-fasteners? Most of the examples I'm seeing online use standoffs.

20131126_110635-1024x768.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Either angle or tube frame like he said. Extend beyond the glass to the edge of the two ends of the mullions. According to how tall it is, possibly another one across the middle, to prevent any movement. Use at least 6mm acm. Design it, so you can just make an easy patch as they change tenants, unless you wanna be bothered going there all the time for petty stuff. Also, give it some nice shape, not just a frickin' rectangle.

edit: die-cut vinyl lettering is out. Either make a digital print on a panel or digital print directly onto the main board. I'd also be going about 35" wide by 42" high.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
See how your example names the place, even where you're standing and separates the different levels ?? The extra panel behind is a nice touch and not really dated yet.

unclebun

On your example the fasteners to the brick go through the silver piece of panel to the brick, behind the black panel. The black panel is mounted with double sided tape.

For the project you are working on, is this an office building? Where are you when you walk through those doors? If it's a lobby, why not put the directory in the lobby and make it from one of the modular systems like you can get from Vista Systems or Clarke Systems? We've done some like that where we had a cabinet maker build us a podium with an angled top, to which we mounted the modular system with snap-out pieces for each tenant.

If they insist on an outside directory I would try to move them towards a freestanding sign bolted to the concrete walk similar to what I described for in a lobby, except with a 3x3 post on a flange with an angled top to attach the directory to.

JBurton

Signtologist
On your example the fasteners to the brick go through the silver piece of panel to the brick, behind the black panel. The black panel is mounted with double sided tape.
Don't forget, they must've countersunk the holes. I hate doing this, I never feel like the guys give enough attention to level during installation, and there is no re-setting double stick on ACM.

gnubler

For the project you are working on, is this an office building? Where are you when you walk through those doors? If it's a lobby, why not put the directory in the lobby and make it from one of the modular systems like you can get from Vista Systems or Clarke Systems?
If they insist on an outside directory I would try to move them towards a freestanding sign bolted to the concrete walk similar to what I described for in a lobby, except with a 3x3 post on a flange with an angled top to attach the directory to.
I'm attaching an image of the entire front facade of the building. It's a retail shopping center. I suggested an exterior directory to draw people inside, nobody knows there's 20 or so shops in there. Inside there's no good space for an entry directory - just a wall of windows and an elevator shaft with no wall space beside it. You can see a projecting partition to the right of the doors with a sign on it...I suggested taking that sign down and putting a directory there instead, on both sides. They said they had one there once and "nobody saw it". So now they want one directory right on front of the building. Before anyone says all the A-frames look tacky, I KNOW. Usually there's even more out there. Ugh. It's a pretty high end building.

I'm not handling the installation, but I need to propose something that can be properly installed by them, not just throw them something and say 'good luck'.
Some good ideas mentioned here, thx.

20240625_142852.jpg

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
That is not the most "upscale" business. . . . ANYthing would be an improvement.
Put the directory in vinyl lettering on the left door and change it when the tenants change. (job security).
And, a nice new spiffy Hours of Operation on the right side door.
door.jpg

Last edited:

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
What would look REALLY nice.... get them to make another panel like what is on the right, only down to the ground since there is no planter on that side. Put the directory there. I assume what is in the panel on the right is some historical background of the building.... that would actually be the best place for the directory.

1720733695437.png

gnubler

Boudica, great idea and I agree.

They said no vinyl on the windows because it looks 'tacky'. The previous owners went nuts with it and it was all removed (except for the weird hours).

unclebun

We are doing a directory for a small office building that will go on the window next to the double doors. We will use white cut vinyl lettering so that tenants can easily be replaced. You could do the same here using the window that has the funky hours on it. Stress to them that in order to keep it looking good they must use you to replace the tenant names so that they are always the same font/size/color (white). Then they should put the name of the shopping center on the doors along with the business hours. That would be your more "budget" option.

The better looking and more classy solution is like what Boudica suggested, though it does turn the directory at 90 degrees to the people coming in the door. It would make it visible to people approaching on the sidewalk though. There is room to the left of the doors to put a pedestal sign if you wish.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
on a totally unrelated note.... I have a Schwinn cruzer JUST like the one in that picture (far left)- same green color and everything.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think adding a sign to the millions is a dumb idea.... Doesn't look professional. Like others suggested putting vinyl on the Windows is the best case in this scenario but if the customer doesn't want it just do what they said.

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
UP-Scaling the business is to use Real-Gold Vinyl.
You can pretty much be Gar-on-Teed that nobody else in that neighborhood will have it.
Your profit margin will increase 300% over plain white vinyl. (black outline will add another 200%).
81JDBo3cpsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A1B5Ks8N-3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Remove all CLUTTER and flea-market items from around the building, Paint all trim-work, and power-wash the concrete and that will add another 1,000% just in the "Curb Appeal" of the business.
There is a LOT more to this project than just listing the tenants. . . .. (I'm just sayin).

image_67510529.jpg

one.jpg

Last edited: