• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior Lettering - You are doing it wrong, or right - I can't decide

thinksigns

SnowFlake
found this on reddit this morning.

Attachments

• urban.jpg
    urban.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 80

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, it's well spent money around noon time on a sunny day.

Ah, who cares anyway, nobody reads signs these days.

John Butto

That is not a shadow from a sun or lights...it has to be colored vinyl or paint to create that, go outside with a letter and check out the shadow it cast.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
That looks like one of those this that you ought not do merely because you can.

The two classic criteria for a sign, any sign, is that it be at once readable and handsome if not beautiful. This one fails on both counts. No one reads shadows and the effect is butt ugly. Cute and clever often fashion a noose from which you hang yourself

Pat Whatley

Do a google image search for URBAN OUTFITTERS SIGN. They don't seem to be interested in conforming to classic criteria....for what that's worth.

vid

Very clever way to get past restrictions on aggregate sign area...:thumb:

...or maybe they ran it through the landlord and city... as an awning :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Marlene

that would be a cool idea for an interior sign. I have always liked the Oprah type lettering done with light shown thru a cut out of the word and saw it used on a restaurant's wall on gordon Ramsey's show and it was a cool idea too.

genericname

The two classic criteria for a sign, any sign, is that it be at once readable and handsome if not beautiful. This one fails on both counts. No one reads shadows and the effect is butt ugly.

The type nerds beg to differ. They found a new solution to an old problem. I think it's quite beautiful.

Of course, knowing Urban Outfitters' previous business practices, they probably stole the idea from someone else.

signswi

bob doesn't like it so I like it. Filled letterforms are super trendy in their target market too before someone comments on the fact that there are no voids.