• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

external key, mouse and monitor on laptop... mouse "times out"

iSign

I've been meaning to ask about this for a few months... my HP laptop (running Vista
icon9.gif
)
is connected to an external monitor mouse and keyboard. The mouse and keyboard are on a cheap USB hub (along with a printer & an external hard drive)

The problem is half the time when I walk away from the computer for 20 minutes or so... when I come back the external mouse is not working. Sometimes I can unplug the hub, plug it back in & away I go... but other times I have to restart the laptop, which drives me up the wall... I am always multi-tasking & trying to be efficient with my time, even if I'm surfing signs101... so sitting here waiting for a restart almost once a day.... I swear it's taking a toll in years off the back end of my life, due to accumulated stress.

I know... I oughta' JUST go take a walk :rolleyes: ... BUT I JUST WANT MY DAMN ADDICTION TO BE EASIER TO SATISFY!! :Big Laugh

mediaman

I record music on my PC and I tried using a USB expansion hub, which resulted in clicks in the recording. My IT guy told me that hubs don't provide full power to each USB port on the array. I ditched the hub and don't have any more problems. Also, front USB ports can sometimes be underpowered for devices that use the port for power.

iSign

thanks guys, when I was trying to give all the info that might help in this post...

right when I added the word "cheap" in front of USB hub, I realized that might be the source of the trouble. I have a powered hub at the office, not in use... so I'll bring it home & try it out.