• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Facebook "Like" Button

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Facebook "Like" Button <-- don't like.

Another board I post on tried this. A few members began abusing this function and much crap followed until the function was removed.

If you like something, don't be lazy -- make a comment about it. This is the whole point of having a forum.

qmr55

Facebook "Like" Button <-- don't like.

Another board I post on tried this. A few members began abusing this function and much crap followed until the function was removed.

If you like something, don't be lazy -- make a comment about it. This is the whole point of having a forum.

May I ask, how did they abuse it?

I am a member of a forum where they use it and it's pretty cool if you ask me and no one abuses it. Sometimes it is useful if you see a thread that might have helped you or might help someone else, but you don't have anything positive to input into the discussion. It even helped by getting the clutter of "+1" posts and single word posts out of the way making the forums even easier to browse!

oldgoatroper

May I ask, how did they abuse it?

I am a member of a forum where they use it and it's pretty cool if you ask me and no one abuses it. Sometimes it is useful if you see a thread that might have helped you or might help someone else, but you don't have anything positive to input into the discussion. It even helped by getting the clutter of "+1" posts and single word posts out of the way making the forums even easier to browse!

What is more useful? A (somewhat vague) emotional response. Or a response that verbalizes what is appreciated?

If I like something, I will tell you why I like it. Or don't like it. Sure, it can be pleasing to know that someone likes our efforts, but its a whole lot more heartening to know why our efforts are appreciated. Its much better feedback.

The "like" button just makes people lazy and is a symptom of the general intellectual decline of our society. For instance, on Yahoo News they now have a section immediately under the body of the story asking:

What do you feel about this article?

Since when have our feelings about news events become more important than what we think about them? Oh, you still can post comments, but you have to scroll past a couple more items to find that part.

What happened on the other board I frequent is that a small number of individuals with an axe to grind with others would go on a thumbs-down clicking rampage, finding all previous posts and any new posts and automatically rating them thumbs down. Then, others, trying to counter the efforts of these few, would do the opposite and it just became a thumbs-up/down war. With 20,000 members, it got pretty messy until the function was just removed and then everyone breathed a sigh of relief. This is a board whose members are generally highly-educated, mature, and well-off -- not a bunch of juveniles and not the dregs of society.

So, yeah... if you have something good to say, then say it. Practice your articulation. Hone your verbal skills. Its good for you, too...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Since vBulletin has its own thread rating system along with appropriate smilies, I see no reason to promote a resource and a competitor such as Facebook.

Attachments

• rate.jpg
    rate.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 51

qmr55

What is more useful? A (somewhat vague) emotional response. Or a response that verbalizes what is appreciated?

If I like something, I will tell you why I like it. Or don't like it. Sure, it can be pleasing to know that someone likes our efforts, but its a whole lot more heartening to know why our efforts are appreciated. Its much better feedback.

The "like" button just makes people lazy and is a symptom of the general intellectual decline of our society. For instance, on Yahoo News they now have a section immediately under the body of the story asking:

What do you feel about this article?

Since when have our feelings about news events become more important than what we think about them? Oh, you still can post comments, but you have to scroll past a couple more items to find that part.

What happened on the other board I frequent is that a small number of individuals with an axe to grind with others would go on a thumbs-down clicking rampage, finding all previous posts and any new posts and automatically rating them thumbs down. Then, others, trying to counter the efforts of these few, would do the opposite and it just became a thumbs-up/down war. With 20,000 members, it got pretty messy until the function was just removed and then everyone breathed a sigh of relief. This is a board whose members are generally highly-educated, mature, and well-off -- not a bunch of juveniles and not the dregs of society.

So, yeah... if you have something good to say, then say it. Practice your articulation. Hone your verbal skills. Its good for you, too...

While you make very valid points and trust me, I agree with most if not all of them...you missed the point of my post explaining the reasoning why I think it would be a good idea. My reason alone is that it could help weed out some of the pointless "+1" and "good idea" posts and stuff like that. Yes I agree people should speak more and explain why they agree or why they think its a good idea, but in reality not everyone wants to or can explain their reasoning.

Dentafrice

Not trying to get into an argument so don't take this the wrong way, but how is Facebook a competitor to a sign forum? Two separate things in almost all areas except a way to communicate.

oldgoatroper

...it could help weed out some of the pointless "+1" and "good idea" posts and stuff like that.

But you see, these are not pointless. These posts are all personal. Because over time, these posts allow us to accumulate a sense of the underlying personalities of the other members of this community who make these posts. An abstract tally of "likes" can't add that depth and intimacy to the community.

...but in reality not everyone wants to or can explain their reasoning.

Like I said already... if you have something good to say, then say it. Practice your articulation. Hone your verbal skills. Its good for you, too...

And it gets easier with practice.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not trying to get into an argument so don't take this the wrong way, but how is Facebook a competitor to a sign forum? Two separate things in almost all areas except a way to communicate.

In addition to basic sign talk, Signs 101 is also a social gathering. Therefore, any other form of online social venues are competing for the same traffic and is competition.