• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Failed window perf

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I got 30 panels of window perf from a wholesaler and I noticed they printed about 35% of the order on different material than the rest. Most was on a clear backer and some was on paper. I installed everything in one day and immediately the perf that had a paper backer started tunneling. I did notice the paper backed material felt stiff and not flexible. I tried to use a heat gun and get all the tunnels out but that only lasted about an hour. I thought maybe I put it on wrong so I removed the panels and reapplied in the direction of the tunnels.... that didn't work either.

Now, all the panels on the clear backer worked perfectly.. I've applied perf to thousands of windows over the last 15 years, and this is the first time I've ever had this happen. Windows were prepped as usual with IPA and microfiber cloth. Windows were not remarkably dirty, nor oily or smooth feeling. It was about 50-60 degrees and sunny so not too cold.

Has anyone run across this before? Could the material be bad? I contacted the wholesaler but figured I'd bring it to the quality control committee here to hear what I might of done wrong.

bc.jpg
bs.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Applied dry, no laminate. 50-60 degrees outside. It seemed tacky still when I reapplied the panels... And they were 100% flat when I did it the first time. Sometimes I can feel if I'm stressing the material trying to prevent a wrinkle, but it wasn't the case on those different panels. This job was 3 hours away so that's really what makes this a bummer.

2B

where any of the "good" perf pieces facing the same direction / on the same building side as the issue pieces?

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I would say old material. I hate the three hour part for you, hopefully the wholesaler will own up and help. I am by no means a wholesaler, but I do have a few other shops around here that I print for and no way no how would I send mixed media to one of them for a job. I will do that to myself, but I wouldn't have sent it out.