• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fair Banner Printing Pricing.

Mosh

So let me get this straight....you are an Airline Captain who runs a metal fabrication shop out of his garage and does graphic printing as a hobby. If that ain't a new reality show I don't know what is!!!!!

lodcomm

So let me get this straight....you are an Airline Captain who runs a metal fabrication shop out of his garage and does graphic printing as a hobby. If that ain't a new reality show I don't know what is!!!!!

You seem to have it understood but if you need me to lay it out for you:

I graduated From UConn in 1984 with a BS in Computer Sciences (it was actually called "Computer Data Processing" back then when I got my degree) - I spent several Years as a Field troubleshooter for DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) Working with the PDP-11 Line of Mainframes under VAX/VMS & RSTS/E Operating systems - While I was doing that I was working on my private pilots License (initially just for fun) - I decided in somewhere around 1988 to go to flight school full time and get my commercial pilots License - Which I did at Ace Flying School in Tallahassee Florida - I earned my flight Instructors license in 1989 - and the flight school (ace FLying services as they changed their name to) offered me a job as an instructor - I spent 2 years as a CFI and and got an interview and was Hired by Florida Gulf Airlines in march of 1992 - I flew the beech 1900B commuter out of Ft. Walton Beach for a few years, then Upgraded to the EMB-120 Brasilia, then on to the Canadair CRJ-200, 700 & 900 - I Interviewed & was Hired With USair in may of 2001 - where I am now currently Employed as a Training Captain/Check Airman on the Airbus.

Throughout all of the Airline career I kept my Internet company up and running (We Incorporated somewhere around 1998) and you can visit our site and contract our services any time at our website:

http://www.lod.com (LOD Communications, Inc.)

A simple whois lookup on the domain, or an RR-Types Search on our ARIN Assigned class C of 199.120.223.0/24 will clearly show how long we have been registered and up and running (For you "Internet Savvy" folks out there - That is a "Portable Class C" Subnet - Assigned & Belonging to me personally!) You can further Check with the Website of the Secretary of state of Florida for our Corporate filing (www.sunbiz.org) Under LOD Communications, Inc. and see for yourself how long we've been doing this crap.

My Machine and fabrication shop can be viewed at : http://ledyardmachine.com - there are several examples of projects, fabrications, castings, gunsmithing work, etc.. I have done in My "Garage Shop". We also provide Full service Small Engine repairs, Motorcycles (tend to favor KTM) & ATV repairs As well.

Go to Either Site, and click on "Contact us", or call the Listed Phone Numbers - and I (or one of my business partners) will either personally answer the phone or you will have yourself a reply within a few hours.

A year or so ago I bought a piece of crap US-Cutter Vinyl Plotter (with all kinds of goodies included - xfer tape, weeding tweezers, some pre-grommeted banners, etc..) from ebay for $300 or so - on a whim. Went on to buy bulk vinyl (chinese), also from e-bay and started selling Vinyl Decals on craigslist and E-bay (you can go on E-bay and search under username "lodcomm" and see for yourself exactly what little items I am still selling, *and* what I have sold) - I know Doing Rinky Dink Vinyl Decals and stuff is far beneath the Professional User base here, however for me, the rank amateur - it is both interesting and fun.. and I easily made enough money solely on ebay & Craigslist sales to pay for my crap plotter & supplies. Meanwhile I started getting Requests from my (satisfied!) ebay & craigslist customers asking if I could to larger Vinyl projects and such Which I did, and was soon pushing my little 30" USCutter MH-871 to the limit: I decided to step up to a printer/plotter - so I purchased a Roland SC-500 also from E-bay, with the software: Flexi 10 & Dongle & some templates for around $4000.00 shipped Freight to me from Ohio to Connecticut. I set about teaching myself FlexiSign and learning all about Large format printing, plotting, laminating, crop marks, etc.. (I know my printer is ancient, but it is perfect for me) All the things you Experts do daily with your eyes closed.

Googling around for answers to my questions immediately landed me here (signs101) asking all manner of questions on the Roland Forum, from profiles to calibrations, etc.. Folks on the Roland Forum here have bent over backwards offering advice & sending me ICC's patiently answering my questions.

A few weeks ago I finally got my printer setup & Calibrated well enough to actually try some real printing with it - which I have been doing. This led me here to the "prices, quoting etc.. " forum to ask what you all though a fair price for banner printing was - Which I Asked, was given several reasonable answers and then had the thread deteriorate into sheer chaos, where I myself (the OP!) have taken to spouting several paragraphs about my personal achievements and such which have nothing to do with anything, and have devolved completely off point.

Anyhow Mosh -If you ever find yourself in need of Flight Instruction, Engine Repairs, Machining/Welding/Fabrication/Metal Casting. Cisco, Unix, Linux, VOIP, Firewall/Pix, VPN consulting services -OR- Even want to sub out your Banner Printing to me (so you can better use your design talents of which I sorely lack): Just drop me an e-mail or phone. I'll be happy to hook you up with a fair deal. That is the reality.

Hugs & Kisses

-todd

Last edited:

Biker Scout

So how long until you start working on building your own experimental sport craft? Or are you jut going to end up with a Challenger like all the other commercial pilots?

lodcomm

So how long until you start working on building your own experimental sport craft? Or are you jut going to end up with a Challenger like all the other commercial pilots?

Hey Biker!

I am typed in the Challenger already, the CRJ Jet series is the big brother of the challenger and my Type in the CRJ carries down to the Challenger (Likewise my Beech 1900 Type covers the various King Airs) -- Alas I seldom get a chance to fly General Aviation Airplanes anymore - Once in a while I go up and do a BFR or ICC for my friends in their planes, or rent a piper cherokee and fly out to Block Island with my wife for a day.

Besides I'm having too much fun running all the Professional Sign Guys out of business with my USCutter & Old Roland :)

-t

Biker Scout

My apologies... I meant Challenger II (The Ultra Light) I know at least 4 general aviation pilots (retired) who have built these and love them! I want one really badly myself. But I'll wait until I move back out in the sticks again to get one. The soaring aspect is amazing! Finally got to take a ride in one. I'm hooked.
(Just think of the cool designs you can cut in vinyl with your awesome plotter to apply to the sailcloth)

xsl_beckwith.jpg

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We sell the printed banner material at cost as a loss leader and then make the margins on the grommets.........

wayne k
guam usa

player

I watched the computer industry do a similar price drop and at the time thought it must be hard for the PC store owners to go from selling a PC for $5,000 to $10,000 each down to $500 to $1,500 each. They have to sell 10 times the volume to make probably less margin. I think that it is hard to go from the high priced model to the low price high volume model. Perhaps new venders who never worked in the high profit era are mentally better able to succeed...

The sign biz is similar, as printers get faster and the price drops and drops. Basically having to output 10 times the volume to see the same numbers...

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Depends on your area. I used to be able to charge $6 - $8 per sq. ft. (California)

Now, my new clients (Las Vegas) can walk into any number of sign shops and pay only $1 - $1.50 per sq. ft. for banners. Hemmed and Grommeted.

Maybe you ought to "buy" a banner from 4 or 5 local sources. Don't mention who you are obviously. Then average the prices out and charge in the middle.

your new clients have been paying too much. Try 0.65 - 0.80 to the public here in LA local shops. :thumb:

We price our 13 oz. digital printed banners at $7.50 per sq. ft. up to 12 sq. ft., $6.25 per sq. ft. Up to 36 sq. ft., $5.25 per sq. ft. up to 64 sq. ft., and $4.50 per sq. ft. For anything over 64 sq. ft. We also charge based on total square footage when they order multiple banners of the same design. This pricing works well for us and I feel it's both fair and profitable.