• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Faulty cartridge chip? Or printer issues. Mimaki JV150

Gary1

Hi everyone. I have a Mimaki JV150-60. I am using Rite Media Procolour inks and have been for a couple years, maybe 3.
Used Nazdar before but prices creeped up. Anyway, been noticing chip read errors lately. From incorrect ink levels to being empty
when the cartridge is full. Now the printer will stop half way during a 30 minute print job and say "can't print cartridge".
Red light is blinking on that color. I pull out the cartridge then re-insert then it continues to print and the light turns back to Blue. This is a new
cartridge. Vendor told me they were having chip issues and started sending me some chips at no charge. It was still a hit or miss.
After putting in a brand new CYAN cartridge yesterday, it would either show as empty or shut down printing, idle. I use ES3 inks.
I asked to send another chip for CYAN. They did and they charged me $15.00 this time. It was a genuine Mimaki CYAN chip. But it's labeled
SS21. Strange they sent me this as I also ordered more inks that were ES3. I called them and they told me they don't have any SS21 chips.
I sent them a photo. Anyway....Is there something starting to let go in my printer that could
be causing this to happen? It's kinda scary when you don't know if you'll be able to finish a job. I'm contemplating buying a different ink
brand just to see if the chips are faulty or not. If the problem resumes, then it could be the printer??? And if the problem stops,
then it's their chips causing the issues. It'll also sometimes create the problems with other colors as well, like the Black.

Any suggestions what I should do is appreciated.
Thank you!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In my experience, Mimaki chip readers rarely fail. You might try cleaning them with alcohol as sometimes they can become dirty and cause connection issues. As far as flagging empty when they are not, that's a different sensor and they are easy to break. Take a look in the cartridge slot with a flashlight. There will be a small, black, plastic lever on the right side of the holder that sticks out slightly. That lever gets touched by a flag on the cartridge when it's close to being empty. If it's broken, it will tell the printer the cartridge is empty early. So you might need to replace it. This problem also happens when your maintenance station isn't working at 100% as the machine only guesses at how much ink is being pulled from the cartridge. So if the station runs and the machine thinks it should have pulled 10mL but it only pulled 5mL, that will throw off the chip's accounting of how much ink is left and trigger early as well.

Forty One

i would look at investing in some permanet chips and possibly a "CISS" (bulk ink system) for your machine.
The permanent chips will easily rest and let you use the remainder of the ink in the cart.
The bulk ink system personally in my opinion is a hands down winner.
the ink system might cost you around $200 - $300, chips prob anywhere from $5 - $10 ea
I get buk ink (ES3 too) and and only pay USD$18 per litre plus freight.

Gary1

Hi Forty One. I don't print enough to warrant a bulk system as I'm a one person shop and do a lot of outside installs so not here often.
Bu I would be interested in acquiring permanent chips. I do throw out some ink as the dates on the give me sometimes 3-6 months
to use them. Sad because cartridges usually have a 2 yr shelf life. Where does one acquire permanent chips?

7_nebo_7

Hi everyone. I have a Mimaki JV150-60. I am using Rite Media Procolour inks and have been for a couple years, maybe 3.
Used Nazdar before but prices creeped up. Anyway, been noticing chip read errors lately. From incorrect ink levels to being empty
when the cartridge is full. Now the printer will stop half way during a 30 minute print job and say "can't print cartridge".
Red light is blinking on that color. I pull out the cartridge then re-insert then it continues to print and the light turns back to Blue. This is a new
cartridge. Vendor told me they were having chip issues and started sending me some chips at no charge. It was still a hit or miss.
After putting in a brand new CYAN cartridge yesterday, it would either show as empty or shut down printing, idle. I use ES3 inks.
I asked to send another chip for CYAN. They did and they charged me $15.00 this time. It was a genuine Mimaki CYAN chip. But it's labeled
SS21. Strange they sent me this as I also ordered more inks that were ES3. I called them and they told me they don't have any SS21 chips.
I sent them a photo. Anyway....Is there something starting to let go in my printer that could
be causing this to happen? It's kinda scary when you don't know if you'll be able to finish a job. I'm contemplating buying a different ink
brand just to see if the chips are faulty or not. If the problem resumes, then it could be the printer??? And if the problem stops,
then it's their chips causing the issues. It'll also sometimes create the problems with other colors as well, like the Black.

Any suggestions what I should do is appreciated.
Thank you!
MikaChip going to work just fine for you. Just google it.

Gary1

chip acted up. printed 5 90" panels then now it's saying error 627 re-insert cartridge, then !Can't PRINT/CARTRIDGE, NOW WRONG INK IC. Will try another brand and see what happens.
Dealer did say they were having issues with the chips on the Rite Media Mimaki ES3 inks. Last time they actually charged me $15 for a chip, seemed to work for awhile then thru these errors.
I checked the little plastic needle in the back and it's not broken. I cleaned the chips and the contacts in the printer where the chips make contact. IMG_6489.jpg IMG_6488.jpg IMG_6487.jpg