• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Favorite vinyl to wrap with

joelswork

Hey all,
just wondering what your favorite vinyl is to use for wraps. I've been out of the industry for years and am now doing installs for a company here in Louisville (premier fleet graphics) and we use 3m 1080 for a lot but I'm wanting to possibly try something else for my motorcycle tank and want to try it in once piece (we'll see how that works out after a few attempts ;) ). Color I'm looking for is 3m's satin canyon copper but I have some matte army green to use to practice or keep if it looks hot)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 110

joelswork

That's the "during 6 layers of previous owners painting attempts" picture. Dents are now fixed and it's ready to prime and paint this weekend

joelswork

I was thinking that but in reverse! We have enough hands at the shop to hold and stretch each side while another is heating (it would have to be a very large barrel)! The other thing I was thinking of was pre-stretching the vinyl like for mirrors. Same amount of people but we could play the ole parachute game while it cools ;)

31legen

Barrel method

The reason the barrel method works so well is because when its done properly, your getting equal pressure all the way around the round object. If your simply holding each side of the vinyl you only get pressure from 4 sides not the circumference of the object your wrapping.

boxerbay

3M 1080 is going to stretch the best.

I've tried avery and arlon and they dont stretch as nice as 3M1080.

biggmann

3M 1080 is going to stretch the best.

I've tried avery and arlon and they dont stretch as nice as 3M1080.

I second that, I have tried with avery and oracal and the 3m worked the best, I have just about switched every film to 3m now.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
The reason the barrel method works so well is because when its done properly, your getting equal pressure all the way around the round object. If your simply holding each side of the vinyl you only get pressure from 4 sides not the circumference of the object your wrapping.

What's the barrel method?

joelswork

Well, for the filler applied, sanded and the primer on and sanded today as well. First coat of paint was going to be tonight but I bought flat black and am a bit concerned about wrapping over flat and how long out gassing takes. After talking it over with the install manager, he's pretty sure it's easy enough to go at it with no special technique needed... There are a couple indents that concern me though. Classes tomorrow through Thursday night so I'll probably try wrapping on Friday.