• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC7000 plotter acting up...HELP!

Reaction GFX

Hoping someone can help...last Friday I was having a BEAR of a time trying to get my Graphtec FC7000 to read registration marks on some printed yellow reflective. Now I know it's going to have issues scanning marks on yellow, so I had the reg marks outlined with masking tape, and I must have tried a few dozen times...no go. Finally I used white 220 vinyl to outline the marks and it worked fine first try. In the process of getting it to work , I was messing with a lot of settings...settings that I assumed only affected auto mark scanning...but now I come in on Monday and get ready to cut something, run a cut test and it's crazy off! Worse than I've ever seen. I'm sure there is a good possiblity I screwed up some settings that are affecting more than just mark scanning...oddly, the job I was trying to get it to cut on Friday was the last thing it cut and it cut just fine. Shut the machine off right after.

I'm stumped here. Take a look at the photo of my test cut below. I've already reset the factory defaults and that didn't do anything other than change the language to Japanese, which just frustrated me more. You'd think that would have reset any of the settings I may have messed up. I'm using a fresh CB09Ux blade. Current settings I'm using for reflective (which have ALWAYS worked great for me in the past) Force:25, Speed:10, Quality:2, Offset:-1

If anyone has ANY insight as to what my problem might be here, I'd sure love to hear it. I appreciate ANY input. Thanks!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1220.jpg
    IMAG1220.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited by a moderator:

Drip Dry

I don't really know, but for starters, did you try cutting some simple vinyl. Do the test cuts or a few letters.

Also, I think once you reset the defaults, I think you need to change the machine to HPGL language in order for the registration to work.

But one thing at a time

Gary Wiant

The only thing I can think of is it looks like the blade or blade holder is loose, it appears to be good when just running the length of the roll of vinyl but changes when running the width of the cutter or combination of.

We often print and cut white, yellow, orange, gold and even blue reflective and white 220 is your best bet to "mask off" the registration marks.

Reaction GFX

Thanks for the replies. I've got the registration mark scanning figured out, so that isn't an issue anymore. Just need to get the weird cutting sorted at this point.

I tried cutting some 220 White, just to see if it is any different. I always do cut tests when cutting different vinyl just to make sure it's cutting through properly, and I've never had this issue before with any type of vinyl, reflective, 220 or otherwise. Take a look at the attached photo of a cut test I just ran on 220. It looks slightly better than on the reflective, but it's still screwed up. Tried adjusting the offset, quality...didn't make much difference at all. Blade and holder are not loose as far as I can tell. I did, however, notice that the entire cutting head assembly does wobble/tilt forwards not quite an eight of an inch (if i hold the head assembly I can pull the bottom or top straight out towards me not quite 1/8"). I guess I kind of thought it always had just a slight amount of play like this. Should it be tight on the rail with no noticeable front/back movement? I wonder if one of the rollers/bearings is loose or shot...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1224.jpg
    IMAG1224.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited by a moderator:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I use an entirely different blade and holder for reflective, the CB15U. Maybe that's the issue? I supposed the 9 will work too...if so, that looks like a motor problem with the plotter, or the pinchwheels are not gripping the vinyl well.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
A common problem I have seen on the FC-7000s is the y-axis pulley separates from itself which causes the gear to slip when the motor tries to move the cutter. Take the right side cover off and you will see the y-axis motor and a belt that goes to a gear/pulley. The pulley has a wider gear on the bottom and a narrower gear that is attached to the bigger gear. What happens is the two gears separate from each other causing one of the gears to to slip which makes it so the cutter head doesn't move as far as it should. Have you been having issues with the machine finding the pinch rollers? If so that is also a good sign that this is the issue.

phototec

Thanks for the replies. I've got the registration mark scanning figured out, so that isn't an issue anymore. Just need to get the weird cutting sorted at this point.

I tried cutting some 220 White, just to see if it is any different. I always do cut tests when cutting different vinyl just to make sure it's cutting through properly, and I've never had this issue before with any type of vinyl, reflective, 220 or otherwise. Take a look at the attached photo of a cut test I just ran on 220. It looks slightly better than on the reflective, but it's still screwed up. Tried adjusting the offset, quality...didn't make much difference at all. Blade and holder are not loose as far as I can tell. I did, however, notice that the entire cutting head assembly does wobble/tilt forwards not quite an eight of an inch (if i hold the head assembly I can pull the bottom or top straight out towards me not quite 1/8"). I guess I kind of thought it always had just a slight amount of play like this. Should it be tight on the rail with no noticeable front/back movement? I wonder if one of the rollers/bearings is loose or shot...

attachment.php

I have a Graphtec FC7000-75 (30") and I just checked my heat doing as you said, tried to pull it towards me, it does NOT move at all, noting, it feels very firm. I would say if you have a movement (any at all), something is wrong. If that was my plotter, I would remove the cover on the head and check if anything came loose (maybe a screw that hold a roller is loose or a roller is worn). I have other issues with my Graphtec FC7000, I'm trying to do contour cutting for the first time and having trouble with reading the crop marks I'm going to PM you for some advice. Thanks

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe check the blade holder to see if it is worn out of round/loose blade or gummed up with bits of material.

wayne k
guam usa

Reaction GFX

Thanks again for the replies. I've removed the cover on the cutting head, checked all the screws, nothing is loose. I've been talking to a tech and while he's had some great suggestions, none of them have addressed the situation of excessive slop in the cutting head. I've checked the blade holder...tried a different blade holder with the same results. The really weird thing is I tried the pen and the results were actually okay...not great, but at least the square was a square and the triangle was a triangle. The rollers are either worn, loose, or have bad bearings, but I can't really figure out how or even if they are adjustable. The big problem with these cutters (FC7000) is that they are pretty much obsolete and parts are no longer available. I find this to be ridiculous since this plotter is only 8 years old and in excellent condition overall, and you can't tell me that this machine doesn't share at least some parts with a newer model. The closest guy that might be able to repair this machine has basically told us there's nothing he can do since parts just aren't available. So....unfortunately, it's looking like we're going to have to buy a new plotter. We're definitely hesitant to buy another Graphtec product if it's just going to be obsolete and unrepairable in another 5-6 years...or is this pretty much the norm for all equipment like this these days? Spend multiple thousands of dollars for an essentially disposable machine....what a waste.

woolly

My guess is the material I'd bunching up in front of the blade
Make sure the cutting strip is smooth then a bit of mrsheen or similar Polish

Reaction GFX

FIXED!! I removed the pen block from the head assembly to confirm that it was the "Y-slider" (the plate with the rollers that attaches to the belt and runs along the rail) that was loose. There are four screws in between the two top rollers that apparently provide spring tension between the rollers and the rail. I loosened the screws and the rollers were pushed tight up against the rail like they should be. Tightened the screws back up, reassembled everything...sent a test file of various shapes and text over...LOOKS GREAT!!! WHEW!!

While I would LOVE a new plotter to play with, I'm really glad we didn't need to drop the cash on one just yet. This thing is in great condition...it's been well cared for since we bought it new. Hopefully we can get a few more years out of it.

Back to work!!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Good catch.
Something I might need if(when) mine starts to fall apart.

wayne k
guam usa