• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FC7000 Print/Cut - Maximum Working Area?

Dogvan

Looking at an HP9000 paired with an FC7000-130:

Out of a 36" piece of film, my distributor says I'll only get a 30" graphic. Is that right? I watched their demonstration and they have their pinchwheels set very far inside the film, allegedly to ensure some 50ft guarantee from Graphtec.

It seems a bit ridiculous. I'm used to getting 33.9" out of piece of 36" film and 27.9" out of 30" film. (Gerber Maxx2 setup) But of course my distributor doesn't want to tell me I can bend the rules. I really want to put those pinchwheels a quarter inch from the edge and if possible to set up onyx to maximize the print area. I have many old files already set up for this amount of consumption. Also my Gerber Odyssey plotter tracks just fine with only a little border beyond the grit wheels.

Can anyone tell me how far I can realistically push the working area? Thanks in advance.

B Snyder

My pinch wheels are never more than 1/4" in from the edge of the vinyl. I have a Graphtec FC5100 series cutter. I think your distributor is wrong but don't trust me...call Graphtec directly and ask them.

Dogvan

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm going to look for some documentation on onyx and see if I can find some info on maximizing the working space.

rcboats1

Mine are always at the edge also.
Maybe try talking to a different distributor. Matt Cueller is on here and sells graphtec, PM him and see what he says.

Matt Cuellar

Dogvan, that's really strange, not sure why your dealer would recommend that. I always have my customers set theirs no more than 1/4" from the edge. As long as the film is pulling evenly through the cutter, it doesn't matter how close you are to the edge. It won't affect your trackability. I've found the Graphtec to be pretty true to its claim.

Case

50 foot tracking has nothing to do with print to cut... This only applies if you are cutting vinyl, not print to cut jobs. If you are getting an HP9000 with an FC7000-130 you will be fine. Now, Graphtec has certain guidelines and materials to follow to get "guaranteed 50 foot tracking", but that doesn't mean it won't track well not following their 50 foot guarantee, you can put the pinchwheels near the edges of the vinyl. But on print to cut jobs, you need enough room on the media to have the 2 pinchwheels on the outside of the graphtec targets. You can't do print to cut 50 feet. So the guaranteed tracking guidelines don't even apply to a print to cut job. Print to cut on a graphtec plotter should be limited to 8 to 12 feet.... Yeah people have got it to work at longer amounts, but taking that chance if you if can't get it to work, can result in a lot of hand cutting...
If you get an HP9000 and a Graphtec MK2 plotter, you will end up being more than happy.

On a print to cut job, 36" wide material, realistically, you are looking at getting about a 32" graphic out of ONYX...
Take in to the fact you will lost near 2 inches for the pinchwheels on the outside, and also the targets take up some room...

Someone telling you 30" was a little low, but was playing it safe, so your expectations didn't go too far.

Case