• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Few generic questions

DizzyMarkus

Howdy Ladies and Gents,
My name is Mark -- I am considering purchasing a HP5500PS -- the HP folks told me that there would be support for this printer for an additional 5-6 years. I need to start somehwere and thought this my be a good start for short term indoor signage along with some short term outside banners. I have a few basic questions I seem to not be able to find direct answers to. Anyhelp is appreciated.

1- Will the HP5500 print on any media or does it have to be HP media.

2- Will the HP5500 contour cut a print-- IE: cut bordered edges off?

3- Will the HP5500 function as a stand alone cutter also? HP rep said yes but I cannot find any information on it

4- $2000 ready to go a decent price?

thanks greatly,
Markus

Aklaim

1- Will the HP5500 print on any media or does it have to be HP media. Has to be coated media, which is more expensive than standard sovlent/latex media.

2- Will the HP5500 contour cut a print-- IE: cut bordered edges off? No. It does not have the capability.

3- Will the HP5500 function as a stand alone cutter also? HP rep said yes but I cannot find any information on it No. It is not a plotter.

4- $2000 ready to go a decent price? That's subjective and ultimately up to you. Do you want to drop $2K on a machine that is dated and doesn't do everything you want it to?

thanks greatly,
Markus

See answers above in red.

DizzyMarkus

Thank you for your answers and time -- I think I have been dupped -- the HP rep told me it had a cutter and was a complete unit. So didnt the seller.

Howdy,
I did recieve the freight quote and appreciate you sending me that. I been researching some and thats why I hadnt gotten back to you yet :0) Were you printing and then using a seperate cutter (plotter) to contour cut something ? Or is this stuck as a printer operation only?

Thanks greatly,
Markus

"Dear Markus,

The machine has a cutter. It is complete.
Thank You.

ARGGGGGGGGGGG lol

Markus

Also to clear up number 1 I can just print on some white matte it has to be a coated vinyl

Markus

WildWestDesigns

Thank you for your answers and time -- I think I have been dupped -- the HP rep told me it had a cutter and was a complete unit. So didnt the seller.

Just something to think about, although it wasn't the type of cutter that you were talking about. He could have been talking about the cutting function to just cut the printed media from the rest of the roll.

It's a stretch, but I think possible. Sometimes sells people don't know which way is up at times with their own product.

Billct2

Yea, it has a cutter, that slices ofgf the roll after you print, the salesman may not have a clue what "contour cut" means.
You can printe on a lot og materials, but they all have to be coated material for use in an aqueos printer.
If you want to do the things you were asking about this is not the machine for you.
$2000 could be a good price depending on size and model.

DizzyMarkus

thank you fellas for the speedy replies. I was mislead in my opinion as I asked a specific question and got a generic answer -- from themnot you folks hehe

Markus