• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

firefox 6

wes70

After i downloaded firefox 6 about 2 weeks, it seems that browsing has been much slower. Explorer 9 is much faster! Is firefox bloated?

TheSnowman

I had nothing but failure w/ Chrome...it was a great idea, but no luck. So far FireFox seems to be running nicely. I haven't tried IE in years though, so can't compare it to that.

Jim Doggett

I had nothing but failure w/ Chrome...it was a great idea, but no luck. So far FireFox seems to be running nicely. I haven't tried IE in years though, so can't compare it to that.

Chrome and Firefox seem very similar, both in using and developing Web pages that parse well within them. What makes Chrome better, for me, is its integration with all my Google stuff, i.e. gmail, gtalk, gchat, google docs .... and my phone is an Android, too.

So Google pretty-much controls my life. LOL

signswi

My usage pattern:
Everyday browsing; Chrome
WebDev/SEO/etc. work; Firefox (better toolsets)
IE9; Never, but no longer call people idiots for using it

genericname

Some things I still like about it. I'm not a fan of the GUI on the Chrome, but I'm sure that's just me.

Not just you. Took me forever to go over to the Chrome camp. Their first release though, where I got my first taste of it, was god-awful.

I'm curious though, is IE no longer the bloated piece of malware-attracting crap that it used to be?

WildWestDesigns

I'm curious though, is IE no longer the bloated piece of malware-attracting crap that it used to be?

I never thought it was bloated to begin with, but I also made sure that when I downloaded something that it didn't attach a toolbar or whatever to IE (or Firefox now). That might have something to do with it. I don't know for sure, that's just me speculating on that.

genericname

Already more than most people do. When I have to go online on a friend or family member's computer, and only see the blue "E", I just know it'll take forever to open and load something, because nine times out of ten, there'll be a dozen useless search bars in the thing.

Always found it slower than other browsers, and when they finally implemented tabs, I found they did it poorly (very buggy and slow), but that's just my experience as well.

Aaaaaanyway, I'm going to shut up now, because this has gone really off topic.

:thread

signswi

Not just you. Took me forever to go over to the Chrome camp. Their first release though, where I got my first taste of it, was god-awful.

IE9 isn't, it was completely rewritten and requires Windows 7 as it's hardware accelerated (via GPU). Pretty good on standards now too. Pre-IE9 is still awful and always will be.

Mike F

Check out Firefox 7, it runs a lot smoother. It uses ~50% less memory and is just generally faster than 6. 6 would crash on me now and then when I would have a bunch of tabs open (like 20 - 25+), 7 hasn't crashed on me yet and I've been using it for a few weeks now. 8 is supposed to be even better, they just released the beta over the weekend but a few add-ons I use haven't been updated to be compatible yet so I'm waiting to install it till they are.

WildWestDesigns

Check out Firefox 7, it runs a lot smoother. It uses ~50% less memory and is just generally faster than 6.

7 is the first one that I have truly used of Firefox and I have really been pleasantly surprised at the functionality of this. It also didn't seem to me to be quite a big of a leap from IE to this.

Firefox

Running Firefox 8.0/Mac, runs great. Been using Firefox for 5 or so years never a problem, except for 1 small glitch that was fixed quickly via update.