• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Logo

SignStudent

Just made my first real logo, which just so happens to be for my shop. I've been working in this sign shop for the last 1.5 years and just decided to buy it from the guy because he's 62 and retiring. Please let me know if you guys have any input. Thanks.

Attachments

• SterlingSignsLogos.jpg
    SterlingSignsLogos.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

SignManiac

Better than most first time designs! Can put my finger on it but, I think it still needs some fine tuning. Is there any meaning or purpose to your graphic? I'm not too keen on your font choice for the name.

SignStudent

Better than most first time designs! Can put my finger on it but, I think it still needs some fine tuning. Is there any meaning or purpose to your graphic? I'm not too keen on your font choice for the name.

No the graphic has no meaning, I just felt I needed something more than just the text. I tried messing around with using less of the squares, fewer colors, and I'm just not quite sure what works best. Pretty much the main reason I chose the font for "Sterling" is the shape of the g and how "signs and graphics" fits underneath it so well. I guess I could just modify a different font though.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very nice for your first attempt.

I would try fattening up your strokes a little bit. Not too much, but just enough to make it look more substantial. Also, try the capitals being a little smaller in height.

A year and a half is a long time, but I think you practically nailed it.

signgal

very classy... I would use the same font on all the uses though. You want continuity if nothing else

SignStudent

very classy... I would use the same font on all the uses though. You want continuity if nothing else

Yeah I wasn't sure what to do on that long sign. There a box on the side of my shop already and it's something like 12'x2.5'. I may just end up putting something else there altogether. I'm curious what everyone thinks if it's a good idea to make "signs and graphics" bigger for the road sign like I did or if I just need to be consistent on everything? I like the way the letters fit when they're smaller but I feel they may be too small for some things.

I tweaked the letters a bit and attached the new logo.

Attachments

• SterlingSignsLogo.jpg
    SterlingSignsLogo.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 59

SignManiac

Figure I'd throw one out. Don't get too stuck on one idea and direction only. If I were to develop a new logo for myself, I'd try several ideas until I was 100% pleased with the end result. Try to get people and customers to remember "who" you are, the signs part will follow naturally. Everyone of my customers just know me as Skywatch. No need for signs or graphics really. They all know what I do, at least the one's that matter do.

Also, I'm too lazy to type a lot more stuff but there's more you can do with size and stuff, and layouts and formats, etc.

Attachments

• Sterling.jpg
    Sterling.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 59

Marco

Hiya budd

I feel like an oddball, but the first time I saw it I thought you were showing us a sign for a jewelry store, had to read a bit more than saw signs in there. Can you try something a bit more colorful? What types of signs are you making over there, full color stuff or plain vinyl graphic lettering? Get crazy, go extreme. :rock-n-roll:

Last edited:

"Deposit Please"

Those squares look like they were just slapped on top of each other with top one crooked. All the squares look off balanced. The "&" is different on bigger sign. Overall, not bad for first.

SignStudent

I feel like an oddball, but the first time I saw it I thought you were showing us a sign for a jewelry store, had to read a bit more than saw signs in there. Can you try something a bit more colorful? What types of signs are you making over there, full color stuff or plain vinyl graphic lettering? Get crazy, go extreme. :rock-n-roll:

From my small amount of research online I've always found that people say simple logos are more effective. Any logos that come to mind for large national companies are all limited to like 2 colors, no gradients or shadows. I'm aiming for a professional image to hopefully pick up some of the bigger clients with more money to spend.

Fitch

Squares can be just "slapped on" - nothing wrong with that... but if that's the case... go more formal with the text

Cheers - G

signgirl71

The word silver or shiney comes to mind when I hear the word Sterling. Maybe you could chrome out the name something like this? Just a thought.

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 78

stickermonkey

I like it...and Maniac's too. :) It's lots of fun trying to design your own company logo isn't it. I swear...when I have to do something for a client...it's usually no problem...when I have to do my own design work...I spend HOURS sometimes days working and reworking it. lol