• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First "real" banner

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ok...how about a drop shadow for the text...now it really pops. BTW...this is needed for next weekend, not this weekend as stated in my first post.

Again, thanks for all the constructive criticism and assistance. After about 24 hours of playing, I am so addicted to Photoshop now.

I think it might be doable for a person with a little prior PS knowledge to download the demo and crank out enough work in 30 days time to pay for the program. Not a bad way to get started.

JB

Attachments

• JB5X.jpg
    JB5X.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Tiki

Font Sage
No it does not pop its even harder to read I would do as suggested in post (7) a reversed panel maybe a dark grey panel

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 45

James Burke

No it does not pop its even harder to read I would do as suggested in post (7) a reversed panel maybe a dark grey panel

Ok...so it doesn't appear to pop in a low-res web photo, but it looks totally different in a PS file that fills the width of a 22 inch monitor. Believe me, the drop shadow has substantial depth and contrast.

I'll take a look at the possibility of doing a reversed panel in the a.m. with fresh eyes. Should I shoot for some transparency in the panel, or would that just be a distraction? I'm too tired to mess with it now.

Overall, the panel appears to cut out a good chunk of the banner...making the stones feel somewhat "squeezed in". Obviously the stones can be scaled down...I realize that. But I tend to lean toward the "open and airy" feel of the version in post #22.

Since we aleady have our name plastered all over our hand outs and business cards, my original thinking was to keep our name recognizable yet subtle so it would place a greater emphasis on what we do.

We're in the early stages of branding, and from what I've come to understand, it's better for the (general public) customer to initially focus on the "what" before they can begin to grasp the "whom". Obviously those two elements will trade places as brand recognition and differentiation begins to develop in their minds.

My main goal is to let the photos of the stones (and the engraved stones on the floor display) be the real show stoppers.

So to Tiki and others, I really do appreciate the fair and constructive criticism. That's what makes this place so cool.

Thanks,

JB

Last edited:

Dentafrice

Why not forget the side text all together and simply do a panel in the middle separating it?

Stones
-------
Logo
-------
Stones

Might work a little better?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like the grey background, but I'd try it still a little lighter and maybe give it a slight texture so it doesn't look quite so flat and obvious.

I'd also strengthen the strokes on your name. Make them bolder or something and then a little heavier white outline. My opinion would be... the pictures are there to help your name, but in this fashion the pictures far outweigh your name.... pushing your name to the background and making it appear secondary. Believe me, your pictures will speak volumes on their own.

Malkin

Usually when I see text along an edge, it follows a basic rule of the text reading clock-wise. I'm not sure that your layout would look better with the text flipped around frm where it is now, just a thought to consider.

James Burke

Usually when I see text along an edge, it follows a basic rule of the text reading clock-wise. I'm not sure that your layout would look better with the text flipped around frm where it is now, just a thought to consider.

That'd make sense...just like the spine of a book.

JB

10sacer

I was just about to suggest this type of design... good job.

Also, english speakers read from left to right - so i would put the company name on the left side so you "see" it first.

Last edited:

James Burke

I did a quick layout this way and while it's a little more aesthetically pleasing to read from top to bottom, it creates a conflict with eyeballs as they work their way down through the stones...they try to focus on the visual impact of the stones while trying to read the text at the same time.

And besides that, once your eyes reach the bottom, they have to return back to the top to begin the process of scanning down through the text...you know....kinda like hitting the return button on an old IBM Selectric typewriter.

The way it's shown in post #22 is the way I printed it, and the counter clockwise visual flow actually works quite well. Being left handed, I'm claiming the right to break tradition.

Had the visual elements (stones) been any different I would have stuck with the clockwise text.

'Nuff said...

JB

2NinerNiner2

I just scanned through a page of a Google image search results on "trade show displays" ... not one vertical company name, or vertical "anything" text (that was readily apparent :)

Generally, I like to go with "what seems to work" for the "pros". You have mentioned that you will have actual samples of your work already (damn, would not like to have to do that set-up and take-down! :) so I would tend to go with other posters here suggest and that is have your company name the predominant feature and horizontal ... trade show goer's heads are usually already "off to one side" after the first day! :) :bushmill:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Being left handed explains a lot (lefty here too).
What font is that you are using for your company name?

wayne k
guam usa

James Burke

Being left handed explains a lot (lefty here too).
What font is that you are using for your company name?

wayne k
guam usa

The letterstyle is Optima. I'm more of a traditionalist, and I have a great appreciation for the timeless features of Roman typefaces.

I'm also a big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright's Prarie School of design...low and wide, with great emphasis on the horizontal...read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_School. It seems a little ironic that I ran the text vertical on the banner, but I wanted it to be as large as possible.

With that said, I compressed the height and stretched the overall string of letters to get the initial proportions, and then I modified a couple of the letters individually. The crossbars were dropped quite low on the A's, and the C, M, N and O were stretched out a little further.

I'm sure Herman Zapf (the type designer) wouldn't mind.

As long as I'm explaining it, I'd might as well give the full story behind our logo/name. JARSA is an acronym of our first names (Jim, Annette, Ryan and Sara Anne). The little arrowhead (balance point) between and beneath "Jarsa" and "Company" is a solemn reminder to me that there always needs to be a healthy balance between family (Jarsa) and business (Company).

JB

Last edited:

Malkin

I had thought that might be the case regarding the vertical type and direction of eye travel. It does seem to work to read the name up the side, leading you back to the top.

Cool backstory on your name.

Jillbeans

I really like what Tiki suggested, with the side rock-like panel. It had way more legibility.
Your font looks stretched. And if using a drop shadow I would make it straight down, as if natural, not down and to the right.
Love....Jill

10sacer

Should have rotated the type 180 and let it read on left side from bottom to top - then your eyes are at the top to scan the rest of the banner left to right and down to bottom. No biggie... at some point just get it done and take all the pointers for next time...

James Burke

Should have rotated the type 180 and let it read on left side from bottom to top - then your eyes are at the top to scan the rest of the banner left to right and down to bottom. No biggie... at some point just get it done and take all the pointers for next time...

All points from everyone duly noted.

Thank you,

JB