• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fleet Trailer decal removal

gsmigel

Hi everyone. Im looking for any tips or advice on a job I have to bid on ...
about 20 trailers to remove decals... two sides of decals covering about 12ft x 5ft of area with rivets.... I will have the access to water for a power washer.... Would you use a chemical to remove decal and another chemical to remove adhesive?(what chemical?)...OR...Heat off the decals then use a chemical to remove the adhesive?.... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

cdiesel

Don't bid this job on a "job" basis.. just bill them hourly. If you don't you'll end up kicking yourself in the end.

theskipman_98

I've never had to remove anything that size, (limited mainly to ambulances and police fleets), but here is what I have used.

Heat gun (ours is actually a 3 temp paint stripper), lil' chizlers, and on stubborn vinyl have used VINYL-OFF (104) I'm sure one of the venders/supplier at the bottom of the page may carry it. For the adhesive residue Rapid Remover.

DO NOT price by the unit price by your time actually removing it. Some will come off easier than others.

Good Luck!

beckys

could try a MBX, do search but Fellers sells it...kind of costly 400 or so, but seriously cut my frustration level in half, and rapid remover will remoce remaider of glue, but really isnt much left agter vinyl is grinded down.
And definitely price by the hour....

Pat Whatley

We did 12 of these five years ago and used a weed burner attatched to a propane tank.

If we had to do it today we'd use our wallpaper steamer. It's quick, easy, and doesn't scare the crap out of people as bad.

cdiesel

MBX would be WAY too slow for this removal. The best way is heat, either from a weed burner or steamer like Pat said.