• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

foam letters, what went wrong?

binki

Got a call to do a job to replace foam letters with the color plastic facing. The plastic is falling off. When I look at the adhesive on the back of the plastic that fell off it is all buttery and just comes off with no effort. The plastic back that has the adhesive on it is smooth with a few scratches in it. I am guessing it should be roughed up a bit to accept the adhesive. The building with the letters all faces the south so lots of sunshine. This may also be a factor here.

I guess they didn't use the right adhesive on the plastic and maybe not enough of it, looks like just dabs on the pieces that fell off. I am guessing the foam will fall off at some point too.

So we don't do the wet work for the lettering on these types of jobs, our letters come all done from our vendor (bless him and his crew!) and we just install. Am I guessing that this was done on the cheap here? Am I close here?

binki

I don't know if they are outdoor rated. I took a picture to our sign supply place and showed them the problem and explained outdoor and south facing and he gave me an estimate for replacing them. I will make sure he is giving me something that can last outdoors.

binki

I quoted this out at $2k for 16 letters at 14" with a remove of the old, repair of the site, prep, letters and install. We will see if they bite.