• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Question: Copperplate vs. Copperplate Gothic

GVC

Good morning! Can anyone tell me if the Copperplate Gothic typeface is the same as Copperplate? They look very similar to me. My client can't supply the font and I have only Copperplate Gothic in my library.

DirtyD

If they cannot supply the correct font and Copperplate Gothic Looks to be the same than use it - I have Copperplate and not Copperplate Gothic to compare

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
On close inspection there are differences between copperplates. Even the same name from different font companies. Adobe's copperplate is different than copperplate from other font companies

Serifs are inconsitent. O's and C's are more oval in one versus the other

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The best thing for you to do would be to upload an image of what you have to match and members here can compare your image to our memories and our databases using automated identification software. Like many fonts, there are a large number of variations of both the Copperplate and Copperplate Gothic font families. There are variations in boldness, variations in width, variations in the design and variations in individual characters.

URW has 6 versions.

Bitstream has 5 variations.

Linotype has 18 variations.

Adobe has 9 variations.

Etc., etc, etc.

http://www.myfonts.com/search/copperplate/fonts/

GVC

Thanks guys. That''s kind of what I expected. I've informed my client that I'll have to make a substitution and that there are subtle differences.