• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

font used on adam 12 towed car

binki

bottom line, a mark vii production, can't really make out the font or if it has a drop shadow or some other highlight.

thoughts?

tia

Attachments

• markvii.jpg
    markvii.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 106
  • A-12-Tow-Rig-1.jpg
    A-12-Tow-Rig-1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Si Allen

It is not a font! AND ... those are real shadows! Also predates "fonts".

That sign goes back to the days of room sized computers.What you have is a picture of a "blister" mag sign!

They were EXPENSIVE! Produced by vacuum forming ABS sheets over pre formed letters, the "painted with a hard rubber roller and silk screen ink... them strips of magnetic were added around the edge!

Guaranteed to peel, chip, tear and/or fly off at anything over 10 mph!

That type of sign died a miserable death when "allmag" sheets became available.

artsnletters

just wondering why an exact font choice would be necessary, especially when the original is so pixelated and lacking actual detail. Just curious.
Tim

binki

just wondering why an exact font choice would be necessary, especially when the original is so pixelated and lacking actual detail. Just curious.
Tim

Customer is looking for as much authenticity as possible. I was noticing the M has slants on the legs and the K has the join in the center. Just looking for something close. We are not going to reproduce the same sign with raised letters in the above described way, just black vinyl on magnets.

Vinylman

Customer is looking for as much authenticity as possible. I was noticing the M has slants on the legs and the K has the join in the center. Just looking for something close. We are not going to reproduce the same sign with raised letters in the above described way, just black vinyl on magnets.

The photo as you have posted appears to be of a film crews "donkey" rig.
A car rigged to carry various camera crews and their equipment to get specific viewing angles onto film to add realism to the finished shots.

The magnetic sign is just that, was most likely hand lettered during the late 1960's when this particular police show was being filmed in and around Los Angleos California. It starred Kent McCord, and Martin Milner {anyone remember Route 66?}.

The "mag in this picture actually covered the "to Protect and to Serve" lettering on a real police car that was pulled into service for the film crews of that time.

Note the unit number peeking out from under the bottom of the magnetic sign.