• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ford Explorer Door Handle HELP!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Piggly backing off my other post....So, I got the police car 2023 Ford Explorer handles off and I wrapped the side successfully (thank goodness!) now to remove side one and rewrap. I can't get the handles back on from side two!! I watched a video on how to remove but he didn't say how to get them back on LOL Am I not pushing hard enough? I turned the screw about 4 times to remove and they came off fine.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Nevermind...had to go to the body shop because my helper unscrewed the screw too far and the nut fell in the door. Spent 1.5 hours there today watching them tear the entire door apart. TGIF!

gnubler

Yikes. I have felt your pain, when the smallest/simplest thing turns into an all day ordeal.
Hope it hasn't become a non profit FUBAR job for you. I've had some of those.

Will he be your helper again?

Shred_signs

Lost Member
Piggly backing off my other post....So, I got the police car 2023 Ford Explorer handles off and I wrapped the side successfully (thank goodness!) now to remove side one and rewrap. I can't get the handles back on from side two!! I watched a video on how to remove but he didn't say how to get them back on LOL Am I not pushing hard enough? I turned the screw about 4 times to remove and they came off fine.
same same but a bronco, I didn't have a hook small enough to grab the latch.

JBurton

Signtologist
It's been a slow day for the forum, I'm surprised in 4 hours nobody spotted this post.
And goddang, please tell me you're not going to pull this genius in again! I mean, he's helping you learn a lot, but in the hardest way possible. For the love of god don't let him touch a torch/heat gun, don't need the lesson on why you shouldn't leave the heat gun pointed at something flammable when not in use...

Stacey K

I like making signs
Update! It turns out DL Signs was right all along - I could do it all by myself! So, side one got torn off becuase that moron created panels and I sent some pics to Boudica - she said tear it off and start over. I woke up at 1am and watched an Avery Denison video with Justin Pratt (?). Side two turned out good with that morons help. Then the door thing happened and - then I fired him.

Saturday: I just got done doing side one over. I did it all by myself and used that method from the video with zero issues. 1.25 hours from the time I started until I was done trimming. Then I added the wording overlay and a couple other things took about 30 minutes. Still need to go back with the heat gun and do a few things.

I'm guessing with printing and laminating, you should be able to do this in one full day with no distractions. It took that guy 5 hours to do one side.

I did pay him something for his time as he did have a few squeegee and heat gun tricks. He came to pick up the money from my son. He told my son he SHOULD be getting $1000 because he was training me.

I can't get the door handles back on the one side. I turned each screw 6 times, one turn at a time.

Moral of the story is I'm no longer afraid to wrap - should've tried it years ago! But - I'm no mechanic. Even though I lost 1.5 days of work, I got it done right and actual dollas paying him and materials, I'm still ahead a little bit. Just out labor. If I wasn't forced to do it I would not have tried - so really worth it's weight in gold.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Update! It turns out DL Signs was right all along - I could do it all by myself! So, side one got torn off becuase that moron created panels and I sent some pics to Boudica - she said tear it off and start over. I woke up at 1am and watched an Avery Denison video with Justin Pratt (?). Side two turned out good with that morons help. Then the door thing happened and - then I fired him.

Saturday: I just got done doing side one over. I did it all by myself and used that method from the video with zero issues. 1.25 hours from the time I started until I was done trimming. Then I added the wording overlay and a couple other things took about 30 minutes. Still need to go back with the heat gun and do a few things.

I'm guessing with printing and laminating, you should be able to do this in one full day with no distractions. It took that guy 5 hours to do one side.

I did pay him something for his time as he did have a few squeegee and heat gun tricks. He came to pick up the money from my son. He told my son he SHOULD be getting $1000 because he was training me.

I can't get the door handles back on the one side. I turned each screw 6 times, one turn at a time.

Moral of the story is I'm no longer afraid to wrap - should've tried it years ago! But - I'm no mechanic. Even though I lost 1.5 days of work, I got it done right and actual dollas paying him and materials, I'm still ahead a little bit. Just out labor. If I wasn't forced to do it I would not have tried - so really worth it's weight in gold.
I had faith in you... The worst part of wraps are the really heavy compound curves like bumpers, partials like that are a good way to get your feet wet. You might have lost a little on this one, but now you know you can do it. :toasting:

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thank you DL Signs! I appreciate the encouragement!

Now...I still have those other two door handles to put back on...any tips?

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Be careful not to lose any more nuts! Take your time, be patient and they'll go back on.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thank you DL Signs! I appreciate the encouragement!

Now...I still have those other two door handles to put back on...any tips?
This seems a bit complicated but might make sense with the parts in your hands:

Stacey K

I like making signs
This seems a bit complicated but might make sense with the parts in your hands:
Thank you!!! I wish I had posted sooner or I would not have removed the handles! It's going in again today to put the passenger side back in. Good thing I know the guys and I won't get a full bill. He has another squad and I'm going to leave the handles on. What a PITA this has become. Live and learn, some of us the hard way!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm so sorry you had so much trouble with the door handles. After you first had trouble, I asked and have since learned we don't always take them off... It depends on the vehicle. Some are easy, and some are not worth the hassle. Sorry Stacey!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm so sorry you had so much trouble with the door handles. After you first had trouble, I asked and have since learned we don't always take them off... It depends on the vehicle. Some are easy, and some are not worth the hassle. Sorry Stacey!
No worries! It's soooo much easier with them off. My guy Oscar said Fords are the worst. For the next squad I'm keeping them on. This is the first time I've had to turn to the body shop in 5 years so I'd say that's a pretty good record!

Stacey K

I like making signs
No worries! It's soooo much easier with them off. My guy Oscar said Fords are the worst. For the next squad I'm keeping them on. This is the first time I've had to turn to the body shop in 5 years so I'd say that's a pretty good record!
Oscar got them back on in 5 minutes LOL

JBurton

Signtologist
The worst part of wraps are the really heavy compound curves like bumpers
Psh, worst part is (on your first wrap that is) when you go from the familiar stuff, layout, print, laminate, trim, align, level... then you have to pull some ungodly amount of backer on this piece of expensive material. After you start it's a great deal easier than you've led yourself to believe, but in that moment, yuck.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Psh, worst part is (on your first wrap that is) when you go from the familiar stuff, layout, print, laminate, trim, align, level... then you have to pull some ungodly amount of backer on this piece of expensive material. After you start it's a great deal easier than you've led yourself to believe, but in that moment, yuck.
You are exactly right! I have to say, that video I watched was very helpful. I did it like this and it was much easier than I expected. Yes- pulling that backer paper off at the center hinge was slightly nerve wracking LOL

gnubler

Moral of the story is I'm no longer afraid to wrap - should've tried it years ago! But - I'm no mechanic.
Good to hear it worked out. Any chance you can post some pics of the finished job for reference?

My mechanic skills are sub-par also, which is another reason I don't want to get into wraps. With my luck and skill level I'd end up breaking something.