• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

framed canvas print

FASTSIGNS

Hi all, we have a customer looking for "high end" canvas prints. We certainly can print on canvas material, we just don't want to stretch on a frame. We haven't done it recently (like many many years) and don't want to expend the learning curve. Does anyone know of a supplier for the whole thing? Kinda big at 4' x 4'. tia

gnubler

I do canvas prints and let the customer take them to a local framing studio/gallery for finishing. Make sure you have at least two inches margin for stretching around the frame.

victor bogdanov

Go to Hobby Lobby, buy a premade Canvas and Frame, stretch your canvas over the premade canvas and pop into the frame. All you need is a staple gun. Or let hobby lobby do the stretching/framing

netsol

you would think it shouldn't be much of an issue.
(1) the girl working the photo counter at walgreens does it, i watched her the other day while waiting for one of my wife's prescriptions
(2) one of my employees who use to have a speed photo does it all the time & he is a half wit

NOW DOING IT PROPERLY... (may be more to it)

netsol

Hi all, we have a customer looking for "high end" canvas prints. We certainly can print on canvas material, we just don't want to stretch on a frame. We haven't done it recently (like many many years) and don't want to expend the learning curve. Does anyone know of a supplier for the whole thing? Kinda big at 4' x 4'. tia
you know, half the population of NY has moved to florida
if you post a "GIG" on craigslist you will probably fill the store with ex-B&H and Willoughby's employees willing to do it for you if you do the printing
you might even find my old friend paul from bergen camera if he is still alive

you could become the go to for the fast sign stores in your region and thrill the hell out of Catherine
she might even do the "we're not a printing company, we are a marketing company. if you sell it, someone will print it for you" speech that always makes
me argue with the NJ FAST SIGNS rep.

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Just toss a Hobby Lobby/Michael's $4 canvas on a flatbed and do a unidirectional print to avoid ghosting artifacts if it isn't perfectly flat. JFX500 works great for doing a whole bunch at once.

If you get a misalignment or messed up print, do what I do and pop them over a coworker's head. Silly cheap prints with great markup and most people will have access to the canvases locally. If no flatbed, not too hard to do with a pair of scissors and a semi-decent stapler.

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
Four FEET square is a bit out of the hobbyist's level for a "professional" frame that won't warp or twist later on.

victor bogdanov

Four FEET square is a bit out of the hobbyist's level for a "professional" frame that won't warp or twist later on.
3.jpg

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Are people at FastSigns hobbyists?

I know a few locations run the JFX200 which can easily do 4x8ft. My current unit I got running was an older unit from one in Tulsa, and Mimaki even offers deals to their franchises for that model. Sure, they all won't have one, but a good shot.

Johnny Best

Are people at FastSigns hobbyists?

I know a few locations run the JFX200 which can easily do 4x8ft. My current unit I got running was an older unit from one in Tulsa, and Mimaki even offers deals to their franchises for that model. Sure, they all won't have one, but a good shot.
Yes they are hobbyists who do not know how to use a staple gun.

FASTSIGNS

thanks all! To be more clear...Yes we have the capabilities to print and frame. We used to use LexJet "go frame" (I think that's what it was called). Or we could just sub out to B2Signs. This particular customer wants a high end canvas. To me that means not the cheap flimsy frame, thicker material, just more substansive overall. I like the idea of mounting over a blank framed sized canvas. Was hoping for a wholesaler that specializes in super nice canvas.

John_Smith

Is anyone here besides me having a problem with the term "high-end stretched canvas" ??
I guess I am too Old-School to accept the Home Depot lumberyard sticks nailed together to hold it firmly against the wall in a flat manner for "ever".
Assuming, of course, this will be a "wrap-around" frame display and not actually inside a portrait-style wood frame ??

John_Smith

Plus - nobody knows "how" or "wants to" do the correct joinery and bracing anymore. Slap it together and get it out the door.
Mitered Half-Lap Corner.
half-lap.jpg

alevit53

thanks all! To be more clear...Yes we have the capabilities to print and frame. We used to use LexJet "go frame" (I think that's what it was called). Or we could just sub out to B2Signs. This particular customer wants a high end canvas. To me that means not the cheap flimsy frame, thicker material, just more substansive overall. I like the idea of mounting over a blank framed sized canvas. Was hoping for a wholesaler that specializes in super nice canvas.
El-Co Color Labs in Manalapan, NJ - They use high end printers and stretchers. The shipping is going to be high.

netsol

elco sold the building 3.5 years ago
(i have known them for 40 years) and go to the hardware store and bagel place in that shopping center every week

they had a second location, but, i imagine that is gone as well

you could ask greg ritter who owns george st. camera in new brunswick.
he still has a hell of a framing business.

BUT, you need someone local to you in florida
as i suggested earlier, doesn't fast signs have a referral network for thing like this?

and one of the sign industry magazines still does a "buyer's guide"

worth looking inn that or call B&H photo and ask for an east coast referral