• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Front and reverse lit channel letters...? Headscratcher

Signsforwhile

OK - the issue is not how to make front and reverse lit letters. We've done them a few times. But the halo lighting is always white. It's easy to throw a colored face on to get the different colored face.

We're trying to propose - WHITE front lite / RED reverse lit.

My idea is to flood the lexan back with red translucent....but I'm affraid there is going to be reflection onto the white faces...

Any ideas?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Clear Lexan backs with vinyl diffuser and red LED's for the reverse-lit. It shouldn't "bounce back" and mess with the white if that' what you're worried about.

J Hill Designs

the faces will be backlit white, so you would need white LED, white faces, and red backs (either by red trans vinyl or red acrylic)

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Here's a crappy quickie drawing of what I was saying:

Attachments

• DLC.jpg
    DLC.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 145

Moze

Precision Sign Services
No, 5" coil is still fine but you'll need to put your white LED's closer together to avoid hot spots.

You can use aluminum or ACM for your divider and locate it approximately 1½" from the back of the returns. That gives the front LED's 3½" to spread out their light and the back LED's 1½", which is fine since the halo lighting doesn't need to be dissipated quite as much.

Signsforwhile

Moze - I'm not quite following your idea.

We usually build a 3.5" deep can with a lexan back. White LED's face forward to a white face that has been flooded with the appropriate trans color.

In this case, face would be white acrylic, LED's are also white. I'm just curious is the diffusing red trans on the back face will bounce back to the front creating a pinkish face.

There would be no red led's involved.

Signsforwhile

FYI (i'll raise you one sh*ttier sketch!) this is what I was hoping would work. Other option may be budget buster for customer.

2013-08-15 16.00.18.jpg

J Hill Designs

I cannot see the red bouncing back off the wall, back through the back panel, past the LED's, to create any pink in the white face

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Moze - I'm not quite following your idea.

We usually build a 3.5" deep can with a lexan back. White LED's face forward to a white face that has been flooded with the appropriate trans color.

In this case, face would be white acrylic, LED's are also white. I'm just curious is the diffusing red trans on the back face will bounce back to the front creating a pinkish face.

There would be no red led's involved.

3.5" is pretty shallow for a dual-lit channel letter. Using 5" (5.3") coil gives you room on the front for the light from the LED's to spread out more.

How much light bounces back depends on what kind of surface you're mounting the letters on. Glass, metal, brick, etc. are all going to reflect back different amounts of light. The surface, how close together your LED's are, face treatment, etc., will determine how much light bounces back. You may not know until you install them.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
FYI (i'll raise you one sh*ttier sketch!) this is what I was hoping would work. Other option may be budget buster for customer.

View attachment 92091

I've estimated a ton of these. I've never manufactured them. I have never estimated them the way you drew it. It doesn't mean it won't work, but it's not how they were built where I used to work. It seems like that would be a really flimsy letter with only acrylic faces/backs to stiffen them up.

Personally, I would manufacture them using 5" coil and a divider.

FS-Keith

Sorry i cant find any pictures of this lighting,looks good though. 5" can white faces clear backs with green diffuser. Just do an experiment and see if its what you want

Attachments

• IMG_0224 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0224 (Small).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 106

Signsforwhile

thanks for all of the replies so far guy.

now let's kick it up a notch....

customer has me working on a sketch that would lend itself more to a cabinet than a channel letter. We would still build it as a channel with plex face, but would love to switch illumination source to fluorescent. we're talking 30"x96"....cabinet would be 9" deep. i guess it needs a skeletal structure, and clear lexan with diffuser mounted to back.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Whether or not it needs framing depends on the shape and the gauge of material you use for the back and the returns. Bends and brakes in the returns lend themselves to the structural strength.

Depending on the shape of the cabinet, LEDs may be a better option. If you use lamps you'll need to deal with wireways, etc. LEDs are quick and easy and don't need nearly as much servicing (providing you use a reliable brand).

Signsforwhile

Aaaaand we're done! Should be going out for install on Friday but it looks aweseome!!

Just took some crappy cell phone pics in the shop but I think you can get the idea. All the reds are very deep, even though the camera turned them orangish...

da1.jpg da2.jpg da3.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-10-02 18.09.54.jpg
    2013-10-02 18.09.54.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 131