• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frosted vinyl install help

Ldiprinting

Hi everyone I have a client that wants some frosted window vinyl installed, not a problem but there are some very fine/thin details. I usually install by wetting the window and then the vinyl and sliding into position and then using the squeegee to get the liquid out. The fine details will not allow this as it will not be rigid enough to stay in position. How do I install this? I was thinking premask but I'm sure that doesn't work with wet installation. There has to be a way so hopefully someone can help me with a solution.

Ldiprinting

This is what they want done

Attachments

• 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 142

SignBoi

Hi everyone I have a client that wants some frosted window vinyl installed, not a problem but there are some very fine/thin details. I usually install by wetting the window and then the vinyl and sliding into position and then using the squeegee to get the liquid out. The fine details will not allow this as it will not be rigid enough to stay in position. How do I install this? I was thinking premask but I'm sure that doesn't work with wet installation. There has to be a way so hopefully someone can help me with a solution.
Hey,
We've installed frosted with tiny patterns weeded out. We used Oracal frosted with SCPM-3. Installed wet, let it dry and hit with heat gun before removing the premask. Still requires patience.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Why do you want to anger the various gods that deal with these sorts of things? Mask each panel completely and apply it. Wet if you're not sure of what you're doing, dry if you are. Wet is a pain in the butt all by itself. With wet, after you put the vinyl down you have to wait seemingly forever for the wetting agent to dry sufficiently as to be able to remove the mask without pulling up the vinyl. Dry is best, wet a distant second.

Bengt Backhaus

Use GF 790 air release frosted (printable). tape into place and then dry instal. Way better option then wet install in my opinion. Mask all of it!!! do each window individually .
I never found än air release frost without the (for me) annoying pattern in it.

But I have never tried or seen GF 790.

BlueRoseAuto

look it up on fellers. its a good product. just cant pull up and adjust it. once its placed its there or its a redo

Ldiprinting

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I've not found installing frosted film dry is very unforgiving, but I'm going to give a test panel a try. If it turns out crap I'm farming it out! :)

Broome Signs

hi

Option 1
Cut the frost but don't weed it
stick the whole thing to the window with your preferd wet solution (we use film on)
you can then weed the design on the glass very simply as the design has not fully set

Option 2
Use air release frosted film, apply dry

PB

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I'd use air release frosted w/ pre mask and dry install too.
if it's non air release, do it wet with, use paper pre-mask, let it set up for a bit, then wet the pre-mask good with soapy water, it softens up the adhesive and comes off super easy.
There's all kinds of methods that different people use. Experiment a bit, find one that works for you...

MikePro

do not weed out the fine details, leave a ~1/4" border around them and use transfer mask to install the blobs and weed the remaining negative parts after it settles on the glass.

signgal30+

Howdy LDI! There is a material made by Mac Tac called B-Free. Its an etched vinyl with the scrim pattern on it that can be applied dry. Great material for things like that. Works great and looks like the standard etch when applied. Fellers & Grimco carry it. Good Luck. HAVE A GREAT DAY!