• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

full colour print for inside of window

BuckinHot

Hi All,
A question that I am sure has a simple answer but just want to get it right in my mind before I start.....
I have a customer who would like a full colour digital print to go on the inside of a window for viewing from the outside. Is the method to print in reverse on clear then back with a white vinyl.
Looking forward to your replies.
Cheers

Sticky Signs

Yup, that works but you might want to test it first as some clear vinyls and/or their adhesive can add a bit of a color cast. Orojet 3651 clear for example adds a yellow ting to the prints. You could also try printing on white Cling.

BuckinHot

Thank you so much for prompt reply. Ah that is a product that I have heard of but don't know much about. What is its longevity, clingability and if this sign is at a height where sticky little fingers could test it, would it need some protection.

Steve Werner

If you're concerned about durability you might be better off printing on a banner stock and then laminating a crystal clear permanent/removable mounting adhesive to the banner.

BuckinHot

Hi Steve,
Can you give me more information re: permanent/removable mounting adhesive. Not a product that I have heard of. Can you tell me product names so that I can do some research.
Cheers

Sticky Signs

Cling should last quite a long time however check the manufacturers specs. I apply it wet. The moisture really helps it stick to the window. The nice thing is that if it does come off, it can easily be reinstalled. I tested a few pieces on my car for about a month. I drove thru all sort of conditions and even on the highway. Although some of the edges started to lift it was still on.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
We just completed a 100 piece (20 ea. of 5 versions) 30" x 36" order of exactly this application. What we did was to print onto photobase paper using our HP5500, then ran it through the laminator with 3 mil Low Temp Laminate on the back and Neschen Gudy Window Low Tack Adhesive (Pitman #4613-6008365 for the 38", 4613-6026855 for the 51") on the face, then trimmed it to size and shipped it. Problem is that the adhesive is $.64/sq ft., and a 164' roll of the 38" costs me $332. The back laminate is cheap, about $.10/sq ft. but without the right equipment and materials in stock, its going to be a tough one to do. We usually print these on our UV flatbed using clear removable vinyl, but we weren't able to do these that way since the colors would be too muted when on the glass.

I guess the other thing you could do is to print in reverse on clear vinyl then overlaminate with white vinyl. You would have to trim it to size before you laminate it, then trim the white vinyl flush to the sides.

Good Luck with it. PM me if you have any further questions.