• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gemini Letters on sheetrock

washingtonsignguy

Hey everyone, Got a job where they want to do some arc. letters mounted inside their office. I have never mounted these to sheetrock. what do you suggest. Stud mount, pad mount, or just 3m d/s tape. It is tectured walls also. I want to make sure they stay flush with the wall. Thank you.

d fleming

Pad mount with silicone. Painters tape across face to wall first day to let silicone set up, then remove tape and get paid.

Pat Whatley

Stud mount all day. Silicone will be a disaster if they ever try to remove the letters and paint the wall. Stud mount you can tape up your pattern, drill all your holes at one time, little shot of caulk in each hole (not really needed but if it makes you feel better...) then pop the letters in. Quick and easy.

I've had a personal problem with silicone ever since I went to reletter a wall that I'd personally siliconed the letters on. A new business was moving in the building and wanted me to remove the old letters and install the new. I spent five hours and wore through 5 or 6 wire wheels trying to get all the damn silicone off the wall. Yes they paid me for it but I couldn't help thinking how much better and easier it would have been if I'd stud mounted them the first time.

Marlene

stud mount. if they are metal letters, make sure that the wall can support them as they are heavy and sheet rock alone might not be enough

John Butto

good information

Stud mount all day. Silicone will be a disaster if they ever try to remove the letters and paint the wall. Stud mount you can tape up your pattern, drill all your holes at one time, little shot of caulk in each hole (not really needed but if it makes you feel better...) then pop the letters in. Quick and easy.

This is the way to do it, been putting them up this way for many years.

TheSnowman

I haven't done a ton, but I've done pad mount, and stud mount, and if stud mount is an option, it's the only way to go. Real easy if you make sure you order the template.

JasperST

Stud mounting for me too. Jus don't be drillin' into wires and upsetting the electron community. Also, in this state, all the commercial buildings have metal studs so be prepared for those.

d fleming

I use studs as well on jobs where the letters are heavy. Pads and silicone on light interior jobs has never been a problem for me and I don't have to drill 100's of holes that have to be patched at a later date. I've even used both at once to avoid having to tape. Personal preference.

Patching holes from stud mounting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> removing silicone and repairing damage

And if it's an interior job with plastic letters, you only have to drill 2 holes per letter. Maybe 3 if you have an M or W or something. Couldn't be easier.

washingtonsignguy

Thanks everyone, I was thinking studs also, i guess i was worried about them being able to be pulled off so easily, because its only sheetrock. But some sillicone would help with that i guess. I am using formed plastic gemini letters. Biggest letter will be 13" high.

d fleming

To each his own. I've been in the construction business a long time and hung and finished more sheetrock than I care to remember. My company specializes in interior commercial buildouts. Mostly restaurants. I don't JUST own a sign shop, I am now and have always been involved in several business ventures outside of this industry. All I'm saying is I don't have the trouble you have with removing letters that have been mounted with any system including silicone and reclaiming the wall for the next application. Up to and including replacing and/or refinishing the wall board. All part of the gig.