• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Questions

Jim Hill

I have a few questions about the Gerber Edge machine.

1. Do they cost more per SF to operate then a Roland?

2. Which model would you purchase if you were looking for a used model and why.

For the type of work I would be doing the Gerber size wise would work great using 15" material.

I would prefer to start out with a used unit to keep th costs down.

I would prefer not to purchase it off E-Bay but rather from either a sign shop or private owner.

Anyone have a used unit they might want to part with?

Jimmy

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
1. Do they cost more per SF to operate then a Roland?

Yes and no. Definitely yes when you look simply at the material costs. No when you consider the lack of a need for lamination, ventilation, and overnight dry time.

2. Which model would you purchase if you were looking for a used model and why.

Edge II would be first choice, Edge LE second choice.

Would also recommend that you require some test prints and installation of factory supplied printhead clamps before shipping. Would also recommend requiring shipment in a factory box.

B Snyder

1 - The answer will depend on what you're planning to print with the EDGE.

2- I have an EDGE 2. I have no experience with any other models. I've had mine for 7 years and would replace it with the same or an EDGE FX.

Most Gerber dealers have used units to sell. If there's one local to you I'd check with them first.
Will you need a cutter too? Will you be contour cutting or only printing square cornered decals?

D

DARLAK

overnight dry time.

i don't know about that one... i never have to wait for dry time, set the heaters right and it comes of pretty well set, i laminate 15 minutes later and never have a problem.

ventilation- it as easy as putting in a bathroom exhaust fan.

i'm not a big edge fan, but if it fits your purpose....

GVP

If you comparing the Edge to the thermal Rolands, such as the PC60 or PC600, then the Edge is more expensive machine-wise, but less expensive output-wise. Also the Edge is considerably better built - the general consensus is that the Roland thermals are dogs.