• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber users only.

threeputt

Was wondering if someone could help me with certain export settings.
Seems when I export a file as a .tif or .bmp, there occurs quite a color shift when that same file is re-opened in say, PhotoShop.

Is it all in the Black/White filter settings in the export dialog box? Can anyone tell me if they're using values other than the default settings?

Much thanks in advance for any guidance.

threeputt

Any help appreciated, Tony. Yes, I'm a bit backward learning about color management. I'm not sure which box should be checked on or off, and which values determine what.

I'll watch for your explanations. Thanx.

Tony Teveris

Threeputt your killing me with the old versions but here it goes and I’m doing this from memory so it may not be exact.

With Omega’s Composer (and Plot) you are allowed to select a number of components for your color management.

Monitor profile

Imaging progile – this would be an Edge or Edge II profile selected in the color management dialog or in Plot’s Print Options dialog in the Color Correction section

Image Source Profile – the profile colorspace assigned to the placed / imported image be it RGB or CMYK. In Omega’s Composer you can tell what you assign the image by going to the Image Fill dialog.

If the image has an embedded profile Omega will use that, or you will be ask for an assignment, or your CM setup has a default.

When printing and image the original image colors need to be converted to the output device’s CMYK so what happens at output is the following

Image source image (RGB or CMYK) is converted to your Edge device profile you selected. This is all done in the CM “black magic box”.

When displaying on the screen we do the following:

First when an image is brought into Omega we create a “thunmbnail” of the original image in RGB. This RGB is known as the “working color space”. Gerber’s WCS is very close to the Adobe 1998 RGB color space you can find in Photshop.

Now to display we take the WCS and convert to the Edge’s CMYK and then take that and convert to the monitor’s RGB. This is our attempt to display the image on the monitor the way it should look like when printed.

Now many people like you want to see the same thing in Photoshop or other image editing programs. So you have to setup those applications using the same profiles as you used in Omega.

When PS allows you to select profiles you should see the Gerber profiles in the list or I think it allows your to browse to other places.

Under the View” menu item there is Proof Setup where you should select the same Edge profile you selected in Omega and then select Proof Colors. What is being displayed on the screen should be close to Omega.

I did write this pretty fast and from memory so any questions are welcome. I only have CS2 and beta CS3 and will not be able to explain in earlier version of PS. Hope this really gets everyone confused.

threeputt

Thank you Tony. I'm going to fuss with this stuff today. I guess PhotoShop 7.0 is pretty old, but it's all I've got.

My Omega is much more up to date. Omega 2.1.1