• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glass roof on car.

Joe Diaz

So, I'm in the market for a new car. I'm waiting for the 2013 models to come out. The specific car I'm looking at getting has a glass roof option, which I'm also considering.

Does anyone have experience with these? I've had cars with a sun roof before, but you can close those up. Does having a glass roof bake the inside of your car in the summer? Any horror stories out there?

Now for the somewhat sign/graphic related part: Is there a transparent matte vinyl available. I'm thinking something kind of like the etch look vinyl, but a bit more outdoor friendly Or like matte laminate, but not laminate.

My car now is a charcoal gray color with matte black rally stripes. I really like the effect because the stripes are the exact same shade of gray as the paint job, it just has a different sheen to it. So it's a nice subtle effect.

This go around I want a lighter colored car, but still like that ghost stripe effect I have on my old car. Plus, if I had the stripes continue on the glass roof but be (semi)transparent that would be a cool effect too.

Does such a film exist?

Malkin

Maybe use 3M 180C-114 (clear, and has the cross hatch style adhesive) and then laminate with the matte? Could look good.

Joe Diaz

Thanks, Malkin. I thought about doing a clear + lam combo, but wasn't sure if there was something else out there for this type of thing.

Nevermind on the question about the sun baking the inside of the car. I did some more research on a a few automotive sites and apparently there is a built in shade that can be pulled out. So that's good.

stephenj148

So, I'm in the market for a new car. I'm waiting for the 2013 models to come out. The specific car I'm looking at getting has a glass roof option, which I'm also considering.

Does anyone have experience with these? I've had cars with a sun roof before, but you can close those up. Does having a glass roof bake the inside of your car in the summer? Any horror stories out there?

Now for the somewhat sign/graphic related part: Is there a transparent matte vinyl available. I'm thinking something kind of like the etch look vinyl, but a bit more outdoor friendly Or like matte laminate, but not laminate.

My car now is a charcoal gray color with matte black rally stripes. I really like the effect because the stripes are the exact same shade of gray as the paint job, it just has a different sheen to it. So it's a nice subtle effect.

This go around I want a lighter colored car, but still like that ghost stripe effect I have on my old car. Plus, if I had the stripes continue on the glass roof but be (semi)transparent that would be a cool effect too.

Does such a film exist?

well as far as the glass roof goes. I don't think it bakes more than any other car out there. Not sure what car your looking at but i know Scion tC have a glass roof, some open, some don't.

Joe Diaz

use this for the matte roof covering. you will not be sorry...

http://www.xpel.com/products/stealth_film.asp
Thanks. That looks like what I'm after. I'm not familiar with that brand though, what's the outdoor durability of that stuff. I don't see it on that page.

well as far as the glass roof goes. I don't think it bakes more than any other car out there. Not sure what car your looking at but i know Scion tC have a glass roof, some open, some don't.

I'm thinking about getting another Mustang. I've enjoyed the one I currently own. They have made a few changes for 2013 that I like, but the big changes are rumored to happen in 2015, but that's more than 2 years off. I want to sell my 07 before the resale value drops off anymore.

The other car I was thinking about was the nissan 370z, but it's quite a bit smaller and has no back seat at all.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member

Does such a film exist?

True shadow film should work for a subtle effect on the glass.
Avery has one... not sure about 3M or Oracal.

megacab

Thanks. That looks like what I'm after. I'm not familiar with that brand though, what's the outdoor durability of that stuff. I don't see it on that page.

it's a matte clear bra material made for outdoor use on vehicles. it is tough as nails and will help prevent rock chips and other minor chips/nicks. it is the best i have used bar none.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'll bet if you call the Pope, he could give you some inside information and pointers on glass roofs.

stephenj148

thanks. That looks like what i'm after. I'm not familiar with that brand though, what's the outdoor durability of that stuff. I don't see it on that page.

I'm thinking about getting another mustang. I've enjoyed the one i currently own. They have made a few changes for 2013 that i like, but the big changes are rumored to happen in 2015, but that's more than 2 years off. I want to sell my 07 before the resale value drops off anymore.

The other car i was thinking about was the nissan 370z, but it's quite a bit smaller and has no back seat at all.

i.love.mustangs!