• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Going to build the Mothership of all production tables.........

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
Hello!
Happy new year, y'all.
i am planning to build a new production table this year. it is going to replace my weeble wobble 2x4 dustbucket table which is a 48"x16'
best reason number one?, is, the prints are 54" wide.
the shelf space underneath is also useless. don't get me started on the lack of a level table....
The production tables came with the biz, so, i can't take it anymore..

1. being able to 45 degree the table tops is on my list. this also allows for storage access.
2. part of the table might be glass and lit.
3. the underneath storage area must be able to store full sheets.
4. the tape dispensing system will be designed to be a "hide away" a lot of times this table is used for building framed aluminum signs. this makes a mess.
5. a ruler will be installed along the entire length of the table on both sides.
6. a metal stable top WILL be implemented.
7. parts of the top may come off. we install lettering on framed aluminum A LOT and i want these to be "Table held" a clamp bench will be designed underneath the tops.
8. thinking about making the tables break apart and be mobile.
9. by now, this plan has turned into a pipe dream.
10. grossly over budgeted and underfunded, half of this list might not happen, ever.
i will keep this thread updated!!!

i am searching for a NEW way to build these things. a NEW way to design these things, with more bells and whistles than the "USS enterprise."

All and ANY input is "awesome sauce" appreciated!!!!
god i hate that commercial.

-Mosher

I just built three work tables. Used 1" galvanized pipe for the frame. Was super easy to build since all of the fittings screw into into each other. Also extremely sturdy. Has a oak plywood top and then a 4' x 8' cutting mat on top. I'll have to post pictures later...

Biker Scout

Heh, this is a timely thread. I'm building a killer table too! But I'm making mine a glass top, lighted, with a roller gantry! I'm actually in the sketch stages right now. Still deciding on T-Slots or Welded for the entire structure. I made a bunch of really great improvements to this sketch, I was almost completed, when Illustrator crashed. So, it's back to the first round. (I've been cooling out on this project since it crashed on me Friday, but I'll get back to it) The glass alone will cost me $900!

Where this is going I've only got room for a 5' x 12' max, so it'll probably just end up being 5' x 10', maybe 11'

Attachments

• Table Sketch.jpg
    Table Sketch.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 212

mbarden

Production Table

Here's mine. 4' x 12' with tempered glass top. Transfer tape dispenser built into the end. Shelves under neath. Been with me since the begining. If i had to remake it would be 5' wide.
Thanks
Mike B

Attachments

• worktable.JPG
    worktable.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 248

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you are the McGyver type take a look at some used pallet racking.
You drop them on their side - cut the horizontal spans down to table height.
A little welding (or drill and bolt) to brace up the legs.
You end up with very strong 15' to 20' long tables with minimal work.
We used the same idea to make work platforms with back rails to speed up our 40ft tanker wraps.

wayne k
guam usa

OldPaint

seems the people who do vinyl and prints have no idea of what an EASEL IS!!!!!! us old sign painters always used EASELS..... was so much easier then painting on a flat table......i have 2 here, one at the house and one in the shop. now mine are simple 4 FT x 8 FT........ but they make it easy for a one man operation to work alone.
i have been to other sign shops that have larger ones....most 16-24 foot long. but even for STICKEM LETTERS i find applying them on the EASEL so much easier!!!!
it allows you to see the total sign better, align text easier, and if you apply wet gives the liquid someplace to go. this is a simple one in the shop. in the pic it laying flat to wall but you can see its hung from that horizontal purlin .......i lift the bottom out, and i have 2 drop down boards the will hold the bottom out from the wall at about 15-20 degrees............
the 2nd pic is at the house on the car port. just a couple 2x4's, sheet of 5/8 plywood leaned up against the wall at 15-20%. i have done 3 ft X 16 ft banners on this. the sheet in the pic is a 3 x 6 alumicore.

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 177

Biker Scout

I built a 20' banner station as a tilted table on the wall. Could be dropped down flat if extra room was needed. Made the surface out of galvanized steel, gave it a small lip at the bottom. Used a ton of those coated wrap magnets to hold stuff. But the main feature was the pneumatic grommet punch that slid back and forth across the top on a T-Slot rail. Made banner production really easy.

Milo

We had a 4 x 8 tempered glass table top mounted on 3/4 wood with double sided tape. Used it for about 4 years of cutting and trimming vinyl. One day it sounded like a shot gun went off in the department. The whole sheet of glass fit into a 5 gallon bucket! I guess knife cuts just slowly got the best of it.

Biker Scout

How thick was the glass? It only takes a knick on the edge to shatter tempered glass. And, yeah... you shouldn't be cutting directly on the glass, it does scratch... and will eventually fail. Could have been that the double sided tape didn't allow the wood underneath to expand and contract on it's own.

SignManiac

I built a 20' banner station as a tilted table on the wall. Could be dropped down flat if extra room was needed. Made the surface out of galvanized steel, gave it a small lip at the bottom. Used a ton of those coated wrap magnets to hold stuff. But the main feature was the pneumatic grommet punch that slid back and forth across the top on a T-Slot rail. Made banner production really easy.

This what I have along with a 5x10 table.

LeLuni

Heh, this is a timely thread. I'm building a killer table too! But I'm making mine a glass top, lighted, with a roller gantry! I'm actually in the sketch stages right now. Still deciding on T-Slots or Welded for the entire structure. I made a bunch of really great improvements to this sketch, I was almost completed, when Illustrator crashed. So, it's back to the first round. (I've been cooling out on this project since it crashed on me Friday, but I'll get back to it) The glass alone will cost me $900!

Where this is going I've only got room for a 5' x 12' max, so it'll probably just end up being 5' x 10', maybe 11'

I'm dying to see how this progresses!

Biker Scout

There will be a complete write up on my table as I clear out my schedule to do this. Donor laminator is already on the way, waiting to see exactly how wide the roll is once I remove it from the machine. Maybe the table will have to be 63" wide.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
update one:

i ordered and received two 5'x10' galvi steel sheets for the table covers. i decided this is the best top option. damn these are heavy. and cold. might have to install a heating option under the table during the winter months.
two 200 lb drawer pulls have also come in.
need to update the design!

-mosher

NateF

I'm also in the middle of building a shop table. Mine is 5 x 9 with a plywood top covered with a self-healing cutting mat. The part I haven't finished yet is the three heavy-duty drawers that will each hold 6 rolls of 54" media suspended on hanging rods (electrical conduit). I don't have much storage space in the shop, and I wanted to be able to store as much media as possible in the table.

One of these days I'll finish it up and post some pictures. Right now I'm too busy printing stuff on our new printer...

player

You can use trailer jacks with the wheel on 4 or 6 points. Makes it height adjustable and allows it to roll.

229.jpg