• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold paint for large outdoor sign

dcolon

Hi,
First post--hope I can learn something! I've painted a number of smaller, commercial signs and wall logos using One Shot Metallic Brass as my preferred "gold" color. The color and coverage are perfect for me, but I haven't tried many other paints and am seeing that One Shot doesn't seem to be very popular on here. I'm prepping for a large outdoor painted sign (5'x25', gold on black) and wondering if there is a more recommended option that's similar in brilliance and coverage? Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What do you want..... bulletin or lettering ?? Bulletin is not for lettering at all, especially a metallic color. Most bulletins will last 10 years.

dcolon

What do you want..... bulletin or lettering ?? Bulletin is not for lettering at all, especially a metallic color. Most bulletins will last 10 years.
I think I misunderstood your first post. Were you saying the One Shot Metallic Lettering that I've used should be fine? I will be doing mostly lettering with a logo; it's just large and exposed, so I want it to last.

carlsonart

Hi,
First post--hope I can learn something! I've painted a number of smaller, commercial signs and wall logos using One Shot Metallic Brass as my preferred "gold" color. The color and coverage are perfect for me, but I haven't tried many other paints and am seeing that One Shot doesn't seem to be very popular on here. I'm prepping for a large outdoor painted sign (5'x25', gold on black) and wondering if there is a more recommended option that's similar in brilliance and coverage? Thank

carlsonart

I found that both One-Shot metallics and Nova Colors golds require at least two coats and maybe 3. If I have a sign with gold letters on a black background I'll roll on the gold then cut out the letters using a paint mask then roll on the background.

dcolon

I found that both One-Shot metallics and Nova Colors golds require at least two coats and maybe 3. If I have a sign with gold letters on a black background I'll roll on the gold then cut out the letters using a paint mask then roll on the background.
Thanks for the tip!

Jean Shimp

I like Ronan's Aqua Leaf gold metallic paint. It is water based. It does require more than one coat to get a good coverage. I usually undercoat with a gold color latex paint and then brush or roll on two top coats of AquaLeaf.