• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GRAINY PRINT USING ROLAND 545 with ecosolv inks.

JFERG90

Hello,

We are having a hard time getting our printer to print decent solid colours. Everything seems to be coming out a very grainy colour.

We have our heat generally set somewhere up around 40 degrees, it verys slightly between profiles. Generally it is MPI 3000 we are having the issue with.

Even on High Quality it is becoming grainy, Our machine is 4 years old and has just had every part replaced...

We did recently do a firmware update and we are thinking it might have something to do with that.

Anyone have any suggestions or similar problems and can reccommend a place to start....

Thanks

tanneji

is it all colors? We have issues with certain darker reds looking grainy but everything else is generally fine (knock on wood)

GK

Have you tried other materials besides the MPI 3000? If you have, how does it look in comparison? How does it look compared to past prints? Is the material old and has been sitting around? Have you profiled the machine and your medias with these new ecosolv inks? Post some pics if you can.

JFERG90

Yes we have tried other materials, and we get the same result accept when we are using banner material. Our past prints were much more solid and crisp than the images we are getting right now...and no the material is not old, we have profiled all of our materials and our printer and inks, i will try and post some pictures later today.

What settings are you printing with...Profile, Heat, Head Adjustment, etc...all play aa big part of print quality. Of course try different brands of media, did your prints look good before you did the work on your printer? My guess is head adjustment...I didn't see that listed and it's a MAJOR factor of print quality. - if the dots are not sprayed where they should be you'll have grainy and/or fish eye type prints.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Your problem is most likely bi-directional misalignment. If you want to easily confirm this, run a print in bi-directional and again in uni-directional modes. There is a bi-directional calibration you can run in the user menu. Look in your user manual under "Making corrections for printing". These should be run for different thicknesses of media and can be saved as presets to be called up when changing from a thick media like banner to a thinner vinyl, for example.