• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphics on skateboarding surface?

HollySheps

I have a client who is putting on a 12-week program this summer, where the main event is skateboarding.
There is an indoor and outdoor half-pipe, that will be getting skateboarded on.
They want graphics ON the half pipe, right where the people will be skateboarding.
The indoor half-pipe is made of plywood, and the outdoor one is concrete.
I am not aware of any graphics that would be suitable for this, especially considering all the wear and tear, and possible safety issues?

Any ideas on how I can help the client with this, aside from painting?

Thanks!

natedawg9640

you could use that lamination used for floor graphics. The name of it is escaping me at the moment. it not slippery, nor abrasive....

I wouldn't worry too much about longevity, unless they plan on re-using the ramps with the same graphics.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have UL rated floor graphics anti slip laminate for only $0.22 a sq.ft that would work for that.

Sticky Signs

I think you would be ok with a floor graphic laminate but you would probably want to use one of the thiner materials. Half pipes are usually surfaced with masonite which is somewhat slippery by nature.
Might want to look into the 3M sidewalk graphics for the concrete bowl.
You might also want to avoid putting graphics in certain areas. I'd try to keep them up along the lip or in the very centre of the bottom flat part provided the pipe is long enough. Keep in mind that people will be skating over these graphics but they will also be falling and sliding over them. You don't want any edges to catch and peel off the graphics.
Not sure if any of this helps but at least I'm tryin!

splizaat

I would think Arlon DPF8000 with a good laminate would be sticky enough to stay on there and durable enough to keep it from getting all messed up.

Mosh

I painted the stuff on my half pipe, but that was back in 1990...vinyl should hold up on the plywood one, they are usually coated with masonite, so they are slick to slide down.

MikePro

i'd imagine any graphic would hold up just find on the vertical surface of the halfpipe... if you're looking to wrap the WHOLE thing, go with a high traffic floor overlaminate fo'sho

TXGraphix24

If you notice at skateparks (i did our local one) they only have graphics near the copeing (metal pole at the top of the half pipe, or the on the sides of the half pipe. Vinyl is much more slicker then masonite. If they insist on having it in the middle or such, apply it to the middle, but cut it out backwards, paint it, and remove the vinyl, so pretty much like a stencil.