• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec 3100 Problems

BrendanVail

Hello, I came came across an older Graphtec plotter and am trying to set it up.
I have a G5 Imac running adobe software
My plotter is a Graphtec 3100-100 Cutting Pro
I purchased the serial to usb cord.
I downloaded CuttingMaster2 but it does not show my cutter listed when I can select my machine.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Cutter Guru

Cutting master 2 is not support your old model since your plotter doesnot have USB port. but onething that you can do. buy keyspan adapter to convert USB to serial port and buy Graphtec serial cable to connect to FC3100-100 then you can use any Graphtec Drivers from Cutting Master 2 plug in software. ( make sure setup your machine protocal such as baud rate 9600,N,H,1)you can contact Graphtec Technical Support for more info. or buy cable Graphtec online.

BrendanVail

I ended up getting a Dell to run it off of, but I am still having trouble with getting it to work.
I called Graphtec but they have not been much help. There is one support guy who helped me, but the other support guy is very hard to understand, and I have trouble getting it running.
I am trying to run it off of Sign GO, is there a better software I should be using? I dont have the money for flexi

round man

you will need a null modem cable to attach to the serial to usb adapter,..a null modem cable has a couple of pins swapped in the wiring to allow the computer to handshake with the plotter(poll the width of material/check if the plotter is online and ready to cut,etc.....)once you have one of these it should see the plotter,..on certain brands of cables they are called hp serial cables,..hope this helps ya,...once you have the correct cable setup you'll need to go into device manager and see which com port windows assigns the adapter in the port section,..then make sure you select THAT port for your cutting program to plot to,...be wary here sometimes when you plug in and unplug adapter cables windows will reassign another port number to the adapter when it loads the driver,..have fun,....

edited to ad,..unless you are using a true usb to usb cable your computer will not see the device as it would a printer,..I would treat it as though it is attached to a com port in both the plotter setup and the computer and software setup. That way you can be sure it works properly,as it doesn't seem to function as a usb device from what you say,..

BrendanVail

I have a serial to serial connection running, I am having trouble finding a 32bit driver that is compatible, this machine has been nothing but headaches! I should have went with the Roland!