• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

graphtec 5000-60 tracking

Jillbeans

They could make it sprocket-fed like my old 4E.
I still have tracking issues.
I think it is because we were used to something which ran steady like an old freight train on rails, and now we have some high speed thing.
It is a pain to line it up, sometimes it takes me 5 minutes to get it all straight.
I put the back bar through the vynull like a roll-o-TP so it doesn't bounce off, I know this is not cool but it keeps it on the stupid bar.
I use far more material than I used to. I dread long cuts.
If this thing tracked like it cuts it would be fantastic.
Love....Jill

Jillbeans

I did slow mine down, also use the restrict media setting.
I also rarely use weed borders.
But loading/lining it up is still a chore.
You have to get it just right.
It's kind of what I imagine sex is like from a male perspective.

amy s.

I have slowed mine down to a creepy crawl. I'm not into speed here, no high pressure for deadlines, no great volume, just quality product. I even roll out more than enough vinyl to hang down in back so it doesn't have any tug on the roll, don't use weed border, use restrict media, all that stuff. Still it will wander a 1/4 inch in 20 inch....very frustrating. And, like you, Jill, I'm using a lot more vinyl Wonder if those Graphtec guys ever read these posts.

I've got the old 4b sitting next to it and am trying to figure out how to run it from the pc. If we can put a man on the moon we can figure out how to get this pc or some cutting software to see that 4b. I'm only just beginning my search.

signage

Amy have you called Graphtec and asked them about this? I have an older CE3000-60MK@ and do not have this issue! Have you cleaned cleaned the rollers both the grit and the rubber wheels? Also what vinyl are you using?

Jillbeans

I really think in mine and Amy's cases, we are so used to the unbeatable tracking of a 4B or 4E that nothing really compares to it. I could sent something to that plotter, go to the store for groceries and it would still be chugging away like Old Reliable when I got back home.
Yes it was slow but I could make mine use every last piece of vinyl, it was always so straight I could even use the edge of the vinyl where the perforations are as a guide for application.
I am going to hook mine back up in my garage to use for pounce patterns, since I never did get the pounce attachment I ordered and swapped out the $$ for a stupid red head assembly for reflective.
Amy look for a used LMK module and Graphix Advantage (it has to have a dongle) to run your 4B from an old Win98 computer. The Graphtec cut vinyl weeds like a dream but tracks like a nightmare.
I use only Oracal or Arlon, and 3M if reflective.

amy s.

I long for the 4b!

Jill, I've got the dongle that was used to connect my 4b to my old desktop system. My techy friend actually ran my 4b from his laptop using signblazer. (He's gone though) I know it can be done, I just have to figure out how. I know cutting master communicates only with gpgl and the 4b will be hpgl so I'm going to have to do it from some other cutting/plotting software. Really, judging from what I've read on this site, I think it would run from my corel 7 that used to work like a dream. I don't do anything but cut vinyl with this system; high performance and Arlon 5000 series I think it is. Are you using windows 98 to run yours?

amy s.

Yes, I called today and the kid tech' support said there wasn't anything to do for it. I was wondering if the rollers could have down force increased or something but, no such luck. The nature of the beast. If I get my 4b hooked up again I'll just use this graphtec for jobs that don't require such accuracy on long runs, maybe shorter jobs.....ones on which I don't have to waste a lot of vinyl. I'm only cutting Arlon high performance and 5000 series, incidentally.

sinetist

Are you pulling out the cut job length plus 6-8" and letting it hang out front? Then lining the edge up with the marks/ridges on the front lower panel - then clamping it down with the rollers - then pressing the enter button and watching how it tracks back on the vinyl you've pulled out front. You'll notice if it's not tracking by watching as it goes through the measuring process before finally returning to the origin point. If it's skewing - stop and re-align the vinyl before starting to cut anything.

amy s.

Yes, all that and more. I pull out all the vinyl I'll need and let it hang in back free so there is no drag or pull. I first pull it out in front and line up with the guidelines on the front panel very carefully, push the roller lever down, choose the "set up 2" or whatever it is, roll the vinyl back to starting position, enter "origin point". Just have to watch it constantly.

tomence

I run mine like crazy at the fastest speed and tracks well up to 10' no problem. I always run it first to see if it goes straight. No problem whatsoever. It isnt the best cutter when it comes to tracking but you have to get used to it. You have to be aligned perfect.

signmeup

I'm sure I will regret posting this but my piece of crap ebay plotter(Master xy300) tracks great. Up to about 10 feet....after that it can be iffy. (the record is 14 feet). It seems like it's just about impossible to load the material accurately enough to track much more that this. I wish I could afford a plotter that had pinch rollers and sprockets..... the best of both worlds! Anagraph makes one.

Anyway, I load my plotter as follows: Estimate the amount of vinyl you'll need, pull out half this amount. Now line up the reg marks or whatever Graphtec uses. Now power feed it to the start position. Setting up the film at the halfway point cuts the tracking area/accuracy in half if that makes any sense. (Be sure to pull the entire amount off the roll for the job).

I use weed lines and go at 600 mm/sec.

Jillbeans

I do thread mine forward (or whatever the term is) as much as I'll need (it does have a measurement in the viewer window) but I really hate loading this thing, you do have to get it 100% dead on.
I could cut more than 10 yards with the 4E and the only time I've had it go off track was when I misaligned the punching or when making paper patterns.
I guess I was just spoiled and hate change.

signmeup

Jill, no one likes changes for the worst. I wish you were closer....I would be interested in buying that old plotter to cut blast mask.

Oh, and thread it forward the whole amount but set the alignment at the halfway point.

The comments in post 4 are hilarious.