• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC: Step Size?

CarolinaCabinet

I'm trying to fine tune this thing and I don't understand all of the settings... My problem is that on a certain job, not other jobs, but this single job that has a really wavy design, which is suppose to be smooth waves, cuts as though the nodes are slightly offset from themselves. Meaning the line is jiggly, not smooth. But when i check my artwork, the nodes are just as smooth as can be. Yet when it's cutting it moves really slowly around this wavy design and jiggles and rattles around the shape that should be a smooth motion. The other weird part about this job is that the wavy part of the design cuts TWICE in a row, and when I check the artwork, their is only one line there. This is blowing my mind. It only happens on this one design but like i say, theres only one line and it is smooth on my file. WHAT COULD BE GOING ON?!?!

The step size is determined by the plotter language being used. Most use a language called HPGL (Hewlett Packard Graphics Language) to communicate with vinyl cutters. This language uses a step size of 1016 movements to the inch. This is a very mature language that has been around since the 1970s, and is still used today in vinyl cutters from a variety of major manufacturers.

I recall that GPGL (Graphtec's own language) uses a different resolution, but I don't remember what that was. I would set the firmware of the Graphtec to use HPGL, and be sure that is what is being sent from your software.

With respect to your 2nd post, I would surmise that there are multiple paths present, probably with no stroke visible making them difficult or impossible to see on your screen (was this artwork vectorized?).

Bob

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Flexi's driver is set at 1016.
Make sure your curve quality is set to high.

Sometimes imported eps files come in with an extra path. Zoom in close and check your artwork.

CarolinaCabinet

It's vectorized correctly to the best of my knowledge... I've rechecked it, only one line, and this has never happened before. Anyone know what GPGL is suppose to be set at for step, my GPGL is default set to 254?

woolly

step size should be left alone as i think it will change the plotted size.

you can alter the step pass that will ignore some of the steps with out altering size, normally set to 0.

over the years i have noticed that the graphtec driver is touchy about some paths. corel contour is the worst sorted in x3 4.
if it cuts a circle correctly then redraw that wavy line .

woolly

CarolinaCabinet

well, now that I am testing other things on this graphtec, all curves are cutting like manure.... i drew a perfect circle and it's cut at the correct depth but the line is slightly wavy from all of the vibrating... somethings definately wrong here... there techs have been no help so far.... it's taking me a while to play with it as well because I have been so busy printing on the flatbed and not doing any cutting... any other ideas guys? i really appreciate this