• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Graphtec Not Cutting in some areas deep enough but can cut deep enough in some.

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
I am having an issue with my Graphtec FC-9000-140. It is cutting them deep enough in some spots. However, some areas are not deep enough when cutting out on the same job. The blade force is set at max and the depth is very deep and cut all the way through the vinyl a few times. The top knob has been twisted a lot clockwise to make the depth deeper. The vinyl I am cutting with is Substance Incorporated's ULTRACURVE H1 and ULTRACURVE 1500S Overlaminate. This material is made for Football Helmets, Construction Hard Hat Stickers, Baseball Batting Helmets, Dirt Bike Helmets, etc. The blade I have on the plotter is a 60 degree blade made for deeper thicker materials like Reflective Vinyls and Substance Inc ULTRACURVE H1 with ULTRACURVE 1500S Overlaminate. What is the issue with the plotter not cutting deep enough in some areas and deep enough in other areas?
IMG_1885.jpg
IMG_1884 (1).jpg

victor bogdanov

6 mil vinyl + 15 mil laminate. I would try doing several cutting passes. I know I would not enjoy trying to cut detailed stuff on 21mil material on a roll2roll cutter

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
Back off on the pressure, blade just deep enough to get through the vinyl/laminate. Run that 2-3 times, same pressure, same blade depth every time and see how it goes
The only thing is is it cut too deep and went through the vinyl completely but not in all areas. Would it take the vinyl with it if it got stuck on cut through surface and tear up the plotting?

ikarasu

As mentioned, The cutting strip is probably the issue... Especially if you're cutting through the material it is cutting into the strip and not leaving it smooth. I find on the 9000 series it's a pain in the ass because the glue gets left behind.

Buy strip from graft-tech, or grimco, remove the old one and then spend an hour or two removing all the glue... You really need to get everything removed so it is bare, any speck of glue will make one spot raised and that's what we'll start cutting through and just cause more issues with the strip, we have one guy that pulls it off there's a quick clean puts it back on and then within two days he's got to do the same thing because it's not smooth.

You're better off spending even hours prepping it to make sure it is perfect before putting the new strip on, then it will last you for years potentially.

Another thing is what blade are you using? For something that thick I would use a cb15 and not a cbo9... A 60° cbo9 might still not be strong enough. You would need the red holder and the thicker blade, if you're not using it already.

We always cut that material on one pass... But as mentioned above you should be able to do it in two if one isn't working because of a cb09 blade. If your Teflon strip is messed up though, switching it to two won't help much.

JBurton

Signtologist
If your Teflon strip is messed up though, switching it to two won't help much.
Yeah, in fact I'd say doing much more than burning up this teflon strip while waiting for the new one to come in would be a waste of time. If your stuff can wait, wait, if not, run an extra pass or two and weed carefully while you wait for the replacement strip.

Try using Gorilla black duct tape as your cutting strip. Remove the old cutting strip, eliminate all excess glue, and thoroughly clean the surface with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Use the straight edge of the tape as your guide (see the attached image) and carefully trim the excess tape around the contour cut area.

I learned this trick the hard way when I got stuck with a large order on a weekend and had no extra cutting strip on hand. Since then, I haven't encountered any issues with uneven cuts, ghost cutting lines, or weeding issues.

Another recommendation is to learn how to set your blade pressure properly and create a profile for each material you cut (Vinyl, PPF, Vinyl + laminate, etc.).

This should resolve most of the headaches you are currently experiencing.

Also, remember to take care of your machines, and don't forget to clean and read a book once in a while because they deserve it.

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_130939.jpg
    IMG_20231015_130939.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 85

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I cut on Graftec 8600's and a 9000 all the time in the channel not on the strip.
Extra thick material I will do a kiss cut then a regular cut and everything pops out perfectly.