• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec not finishing cuts

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Hi! I have an FC-8000. Recently the cut quality has slowly started to diminish and we've had to increase the pressure to aid a little and the cutting strip started to look a little rough in some areas. So I figured why not just replace a few things and get it up to tip top shape. I had a new strip, blades and blade holder in stock for this particular occasion so I changed them all. Now the cutting quality is worse! Cuts aren't finishing entirely and when I cut a smaller font in times new roman it's a nightmare to weed. I've switched back to the old blade and blade holder to see if maybe I was sent the wrong stuff and still bad. The only thing I can think is that when I removed the cutting strip, I removed the glue/tape that was leftover from the last strip and maybe I removed more than I should have??? It seems like a stip issue??? Any thoughts?

gabagoo

How did you remove the adhesive? I have found the best way is to roll your thumb....sure it will go raw and be sore for a few hours, but it works better than any other tool I have tried.

Auburnpeanut

Our graphtec will seems to do that sometimes but not consistently. What speed are you running it at? Could it be running so fast that it is missing finishing the cut? Also watch it closely to see if the material is bunching up at the start or finish of each cut. If it is, that could cause the stop point to just not meet the start point. Hope that helps. I definitely want to hear what you find out in the end.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Remove the dust cover on the tool carriage and blow the dust and crud out of it with a bit of compressed air. Pay particular attention to the blade up/down mechanism. It doesn't take much contamination at all to screw things up.

This often repeated instruction is, far more often than not, the fix for cuts that don't finish properly as well as general deterioration of cut quality, especially on small objects.

rydods

Thanks everyone! I removed the adhesive with my thumb as well to get it started. Than it pulled up like it was tape if I pulled on a 90 degree angle.
Running the speed at 30 which is pretty slow and nothing bunches up when it's cutting
I removed the dust cover and blew compressed air and also added some lube to the blade up down mech and it helped a little but still seems to be missing slightly on the letters.

I've attached a pic so you can see what's happening. Thanks again

2014-03-21 10.46.41.jpg

Auburnpeanut

Looks like the blade is not swiveling freely. Take the blade out completely and check that there is no dust or anything restricting the bearings in the inside of the knife holder.

gabagoo

On my Graphtec I can open the blade holder up and grease the bearings inside. It could be that it is not turning 100%... (white grease)

rydods

I actually have already done this. I figured the same thing so I grease the parts in the blade holder. Seems good and seems to swivel properly.
I did find out a bit more info from one of my employees however. After I changed the cutting strip, they kept the pressure at the same as it was before and it had cut completely through and they failed to notice it till the cut was finished. Unfortunately the cutting job utilized the full length of the strip. After they mentioned this I can see visible cuts in the strip running the length of it. I'm wondering if this is the issue??

Auburnpeanut

If the blade is swiveling freely, then you might have too much of the blade tip sticking out. If you do, then it can sometimes cause the blade to not swivel as quickly or easily as it should. It can cause start point/stop point from not meeting as well as booger up really small and tight corners. Can you show a pic of how far out your blade is sticking?

Tel

We don't have an FC but have several CE graphtec cutters and have changed blades and strips and blade holders several times over the last 14 years so here is what I do with our CE 5000 120 the strip is easy peel off peel of glue and replace with new sticky backed strip, the blades and blade holders I use two one is the standard .09 blade and the other is the .15 blade which is a thicker diameter blade. I use the .15 for all sorts of special vinyl like reflective and flourescent etc etc, for normal vinyl I use the .09 blade.
To set up a new blade I drop the force to at least 12 I then make sure the blade is sticking out of the holder but not out a large amount the condition can be what ever number you please but the next setting must be 09U for the .09 blade this sets the offset a fine and it is a very fine adjustment to the offset can be made in the offset setting though I have never found it made that much difference the main offset is set by your tool number the .15 blade is 15U I set my conditions up as 1= pen 2= normal vinyl 09U and for thicker stuff = 15U, the speed I never use more than 30 I read that in a Graphtec CE1000 manual years ago it was the max speed you should cut at.
When you do a test cut look at the blade to vinyl as it cuts you actually want there to be a slight air gap if the force is right the tool offset right it will cut and weed perfect, you may have to raise pressure if your not weeding properly.
From what I have read of your problem I would ensure that the blade is swivelling freely and then set up again I would not imagine that your strip is too bad for it to be cutting like your example the strip would have gouges in it.
Anyway good luck, and I can assure you it will cut great.
regards
Tel