• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graycol G7 Certification

Rooster

Does anybody know anything about this certification process?

I have a few questions about it I'd like to bounce off of somebody who knows more about it. Nothing exhaustive, just a few basic questions.

eye4clr

My friend Marc Aguilera from Color Critical is here in my shop working today. He's G7 certified.

Ask away and i'll forward the question.

Rooster

Just wondering what's involved.

Do you have to use the curve 2 tool from chromix for certification or is there other lower cost or even open source alternatives?

I know next to nothing about it and haven't really researched it much, but for a digital printer is it basically just grayscale balancing of the linearization curves prior to profile creation. Or is it more involved than that?

eye4clr

From what he described to me, Chromix is the only game.

For the type of cert he got (proofing only), you profile your proofer, send the Chromix test print to them. They determine if you're close enough. If so, they send back either instructions on how to adjust your densities in the linearization or they provide a literal curve adjustment for you to use in your RIP. Then you pay them lots of $ and you're certified for 1 year.

Yes, it is linearization (calibration) adjustment post icc. Seems a bit odd, but if it is small adjustments i could see it working.

Marc used a crappy desktop inkjet and the cheapo RIP that came with it. In his case David provided instructions for the adjustment. I assume he'd provide a curve adjustment to be used in the quickset for Onyx. I guess they question you about your RIP to direct them how to work with you.

Sounds like if your proofer is way out of whack, they just deny you. But i'll wager you'll do fine. it sounds a lot easier than i thought it would be. Great scheme for Chromix to make $ providing a certification that times out pretty quickly (imo).

Rooster

Are you sure the adjustments are applied after the profile and not between the lin curves and the profile transform?

The little blurb I read from Wasatch seemed to indicate that's where the curve adjustments would wind up being applied is why I ask.

eye4clr

Yes and no. ;)

You end up adjusting the lin curve that you built as the normal process of media setup. But you're adjusting it after the whole process is completed based on Chromix's direction.

I'm sure they're small adjustments assuming you've got good grey balance to start with.

Rooster

Thanks for the answers. While I may push my individual channels out of gray balance to maximize gamut. I've never had a problem with neutrality that can't be solved within the profile.