• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hanging gatorfoam panels on wall - how?

NateF

I have a customer who wants two 3x10 3/4" gatorfoam panels hung on a wall. He does not want them spaced off the wall, so a french cleat style hanger is out of the question. I'd rather start off with good advice, rather than just trying things to see what works.

The plans are for the installation to be permanent, so there's no need to keep from damaging the wall.

Here are the options that I've thought of:
- VHB mounting tape
- VHB mounting tape, but with studs or dowels added with silicone or adhesive for extra strength.
- Some kind of aluminum hanger cleat, recessed into cuts in the back of the gator foam. The cleat would still have to be glued to the foam, though, and this seems like a lot of work

Billct2

Even if it's not an issue I don't like to permanently ruin a wall unless neccesary.
Are screws a possibility? Or brackets? If not then I like the idea of some studs w/silicone and maybe mounting tape to hold till it sets up.
@Moze... you've used Command Strips that with something this big... I like that idea

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
VHB is plenty sufficient for these at that size, no need to get all crazy with adhesives and mounting hardware for gator board.

TimToad

VHB and Powergrab, but run the tape strips vertically to reduce the sheer on them.

My question is, if they want it to be permanent, why do them on such a fragile and prone to incidental damage substrate as Gator?

20140903_181509.jpg

3'x3' 1/2 gator, only used command strips.

Moze

Even if it's not an issue I don't like to permanently ruin a wall unless neccesary.
Are screws a possibility? Or brackets? If not then I like the idea of some studs w/silicone and maybe mounting tape to hold till it sets up.
@Moze... you've used Command Strips that with something this big... I like that idea

Yes sir. These were all done with Command Strips. The only thing you need to be mindful of is if there are any irregularities in the drywall. If it's too wavy, it will cause issues, whether you use Command Strips or VHB tape. Gatorfoam is rigid enough, that over time, it will pop either of those off the wall if there's continuous pulling pressure from the panel trying to return to straight.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 04s.jpg
    04s.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 08f.jpg
    08f.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 231

NateF

So I started this thread a couple months ago when we were quoting this job for a customer. We actually finally got approval and hung the sign yesterday and now all the responses - go figure!

I used powergrab/loctite/heavy-duty construction adhesive. Worked great! The first panel was stuck and solid within 10 minutes. The second panel went over a vertical drywall seam, so because of the slight bow in the wall, we left it supported and taped overnight to be safe.

We used Gatorfoam because the artist who took the photo wanted the print to stand off the wall like an art installation. I would have recommended just a basic mural print to the final customer (a restaurant owner), but didn't want to start and argument between him and the photographer. Is there a stronger option than Gatorfoam? I just told the customer that if the edges start getting beat up down the road, he can easily have a wooden frame added around the perimeter of the print - it will fit perfect with the vintage/industrial theme of the bar anyhow.

But after reading all these responses, I'm thinking that I need to stock up on Commandstrips for smaller jobs

player

How do i post a question on this fourm? i just joined......

At the top of the page click on forums. Then scroll down the list and click on the sub-forum that is the
topic of your question. There you will see a button "+ Post New Thread". Click it and start typing!