• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hard drive clicking?

choucove

At our shop we really have lucked out that the only computer with a true hard drive failure was a spare front office computer so it was not critical losing the information on there. However, with that drive we did not have any warning signs like loud clicking or pops. It just one day was gone.

Having a backup routine already in place and performing frequently can save you that panic and fear when a drive turns to it's death bed. Because it could be like in our situation where we received no previous warnings. It is lucky when you get a chance to get your data backed up off of a failing drive!

gabagoo

UPDATE!!!!

comp guy came in and he brought a new hard drive and when he went in to see the problem it was a secondary hard drive that I had put in and the only thing on it were old signlab fonts and some other fonts that I had purchased 15 years ago. I am sure there will be the odd file that may require the fonts but I will deal with it when I have to. So he tried ghosting the drive to the new one but no go, she dead.

So in the end all is fine as far as files and stuff. Thanks for all your help.

Conor Knoxx

UPDATE!!!!

...So he tried ghosting the drive to the new one but no go, she dead.

So in the end all is fine as far as files and stuff. Thanks for all your help.

glad it all worked out!
this is good reminder to all though - BACKUP OFTEN!
had that been the "main drive" - you would have been out of luck.

busypc

It would be a "mirrored" drive that you need. Striped simply copies data across two drives. So, you have part of stuff on both drives. Mirrored copies all the data to both.

busypc

I wouldn't leave it overnight. Chances are when you come in tomorrow it will be dead. Sorry, I used to own a computer store. Happens all the time. Find something to back up to now.

SignPainter

Always backup. If not everyday at least once a week. If you spent hours on a design save it and backup to a second drive soon as the design is finished (don't wait till later!). If you have an unrecoverable crash an hour later at least you won't have hours of work to do all over again. I keep all my layouts on 2 drives, thumb drives, and burn to DVD's. I'm too scared I'll loose something. I wish there was a program that added multiple drives in the "save as or export menu" where you could name the file and save it in several locations with one click of the save or export button. If anyone knows of such a program please tell!