• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Have a question about what I thought should be simple...

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_psi

Let me first start off with some basic info.

I just purchased a low budget plotter to get started. I purchased the US Cutters MH721. For what I am doing it should fit the bill just fine. It came with Sure Cuts a Lot Pro 3. I have only been playing with it for a few days, so to say I am new is an understatement….. Now, on to my question….

I am trying to do some Registration Numbers, a fairly simple Brand Logo, and a Transom name for my boat. My idea (as I have had sign places do this in the past) was to do what I call a “drop shadow” other terms are an offset shadow. Using Sure Cuts A Lot, I was able to create the shadow, size and place it where I wanted it. However, this software makes the shadow as the complete letter or object. So when doing this offset shadow, the top layer is my letter, the bottom layer is my shadow but the shadow is the complete letter and basically when cut it becomes a two layered decal. What I would like to do is have just the visible portion of the shadow cut. So far I have not figured out a way to do so… I really appreciate any help you folks can lend. Thank you in advance!!!

I posted a picture of one example. In this photo, I want to cut layer 1 (the blue) as the main decal. I want to cut just the visible portion of the shadow layer (shown in green). As you can see in the photo, there is a large portion of the bottom layer that sits behind the top layer. That over lap is what I want to eliminate cutting.
plotter_example_zps59151a74.jpg

J Hill Designs

some form of a trim function.

but basically, select both and cut at once - weed away the 'blue' part along with everything else

LOL @ 'sure cuts alot "pro"'

low_psi

some form of a trim function.

but basically, select both and cut at once - weed away the 'blue' part along with everything else

LOL @ 'sure cuts alot "pro"'

I did do that. It just makes it difficult to weed with all of the overlapping cuts. Especially on the "30" portion of the logo. It's hard to visualize what needs to stay and what needs to go........

while it is called sure cuts a lot pro, I am quickly understanding it's limitations and why a chuckle can be had at the "pro" part....

J Hill Designs

this industry is based around being able to visualize

but:

look for 'trim'
look for 'B-A'
look for 'cut'
some form of 'take 1 from 2' should be in the software.

edit: somewhere in here:

6. Path Menu
The Path menu offers special ways to manipulate objects, opening up new possibilities with your existing shapes and fonts. In this tutorial you will learn about Union , Intersection, Exclude, Front Minus Back, Back Minus Front, and how Union differs from Welding.

low_psi

this industry is based around being able to visualize

but:

look for 'trim'
look for 'B-A'
look for 'cut'
some form of 'take 1 from 2' should be in the software.

edit: somewhere in here:

6. Path Menu
The Path menu offers special ways to manipulate objects, opening up new possibilities with your existing shapes and fonts. In this tutorial you will learn about Union , Intersection, Exclude, Front Minus Back, Back Minus Front, and how Union differs from Welding.

I swear I I tried everyone of those options and none of them did anything. I will keep trying those options. I would think this shouldn't be too difficult to do....

low_psi

Did you have them both selected when you tried those functions?

I thought I did, but I have been spending a lot of hours working on this boat and I am super tired (mentally and physically exhausted). It's entirely possible I didn't...... So I will revisit the project ad try it out. I really appreciate all of the help.

low_psi

I thought I did, but I have been spending a lot of hours working on this boat and I am super tired (mentally and physically exhausted). It's entirely possible I didn't...... So I will revisit the project ad try it out. I really appreciate all of the help.
It was as simple as selecting both and use the path function (back minus front) to cut the green shadow. This will make life much easier. Thank you again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.