• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Having a problem cutting reflective 3m....please help

joshuamalachi

Having a problem when cutting reflective, on my design, I'm having issues cutting the corners on the serif fonts clean, it's not cutting all the way through the corners and in some instances actually drag the edge of the serif off the liner a bit, havind no issues with the non serif fon, the troubled letters are about 1.5"

is there a setting on the fc7000 that rounds the corner just slightly to keep it from starting and stopping at 90 degree turns

hope this is enough info to trouble shoot, thanks in advance

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You might want to change to a blade with a higher number of degrees to the angle. That tends to make the blade tip penetrate a bit deeper for better corner cutting of thicker materials like reflective. So if you're using a 45 degree blade, try changing to a 60 degree blade.

P

ProWraps™

that stuff is typically 7 mil. its like cutting 3.5 sheets of high performance stacked on top of itself. requires like fred said a 60 degree blade and i would really slow down the speed on the plotter and increase your downforce.

cdiesel

In Corel you can use the "Fillet" option to round the corners. It helps quite a bit, but really slows down cutting.

joshuamalachi

I'm using a 60 degree blade....not really an issue cutting except for the corners of the serif fonts, the non serif fonts in the design are fine.

I'll try slowing it down to see if that helps. I just didn't know, or couldn't find, the setting where it would automatically slow down through the corners to ensure the corners cut well or if there was a setting that automatically rounded the corners. Obviously, it's have to be something the you really can't see to the naked eye, but I figure instead of coming to a start/stop at right angles, it would round it to keep it going...

My laser engraver does this....figured a plotter may do the same thing.

my the way...I'm using an MK2 series....didn't know if that would matter