• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Having plotter trouble - trying to plot image file

zguinness

New member here having issues with my plotter. I'm trying get it to cut an imported BMP image file. I can get the image to show up in the program but I can't get it to plot. I can import fonts and get them to work but not images. We have some older images saved in the program that will cut just fine but I've never been able to figure out how to import more and get them to work.

Specifics: I work for a railcar repair facility and we use our plotter to cut the vinyl lettering for the railcars. Very seldom do I need to cut a "design"... just letters and numbers.

Plotter: APD PD-3000
Software: ANA DesignArt 4.0

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this post? I'm just looking for a little help. Thanks.

zguinness

Well I used Inkscape to convert the BMP to SVG file and it won't import. I also tried EMP (file type listed in my import screen) and that didn't work either.

DesignArt isn't opening the image. :banghead:

zguinness

I typed EMP but I meant EPS. I tried EPS and it wouldn't open that either.

I go to Import ---> Vector

I can see the EPS and SVG files but when I select either one to open it all I get is a blank screen.

zguinness

I'm using Inkscape to trace the bitmap and convert to SVG or EPS. That won't work?

How could I take an image and make it plot? This is the image... nothing complicated:

Untitled.jpg

J Hill Designs

sorry, dont know enough about 'designart' to help further

good luck! :thumb:

edit: see if this pdf will import

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    557.4 KB · Views: 141

zguinness

Tried the PDF and that wouldn't open either. There are tons of other images saved in the program as JBS (DesignArt file extension) I just have no idea how they were imported. I'm guessing somebody before my time put them in there.

Thanks for trying. I'll keep trying different things and hopefully I'll accidentally figure it out.

zguinness

We've had this DesignArt program for a long time. Maybe that's part of the problem? I don't know if using a more modern program would help or if one would be compatible with our APD plotter?

niksagkram

Sorry for my ignorance, but , to be honest, I've never heard of Design Art. Did a quick Google, and all I could find were some free downloads from C-Net and such. Who makes it?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You probably are having a problem with the EPS being in a version number created after your Design Art was, therefore it can't recognize it. When you save or export the file from Inkscape as an EPS, see if you have any choice for the EPS version number. If you do, select the oldest version number available. Version 3, for example, should then be usable in Design Art.

If that doesn't work, send the EPS file to the email address in my signature and I will try to fix it for you.

zguinness

Thanks, Fred. I just left work for the weekend so I'll get back to you on Monday if that's alright. I appreciate the help.

WildWestDesigns

You probably are having a problem with the EPS being in a version number created after your Design Art was, therefore it can't recognize it. When you save or export the file from Inkscape as an EPS, see if you have any choice for the EPS version number. If you do, select the oldest version number available. Version 3, for example, should then be usable in Design Art.

If that doesn't work, send the EPS file to the email address in my signature and I will try to fix it for you.

Inscape to my knowledge only allows for EPS 2 or 3 right now. I'll get a screen shot of it in a few.

However, the most troublesome thing is that Inkscape rasterizes eps files, which null and voids it for cutting. Your plotter would need to support SVG or export as an Ai (DRAW) file if using Inkscape.

EDIT to add Pictures:

I have includes pics on the options in Inkscape to save as an EPS, you'll also noticed the rasterization DPI option.

I've included a screen shot of how the EPS file looks in Ai CS6. You'll notice the rectangle box around the text. That's probably what's throwing off the plotter software.

The final pic was just to show the version of Inkscape that this applies to.

Attachments

• Inkscape Saving EPS.jpg
    Inkscape Saving EPS.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Inscape EPS in Ai.jpg
    Inscape EPS in Ai.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Inkscape Version Number.PNG
    Inkscape Version Number.PNG
    618.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited: