• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDU sign

david lewicki

So I have a client worried about placing two HDU signs back to back with a 12” brick wall in between them. Both will be raised above the brick wall about 12”. Their problem is, they are worried about Michigan winters with snow accumulating in between the two sign, turning to ice, expanding, etc. the two sign will have open ends on the sides. It’s just that 12” gap between them and being raised 12” above that brick that worries them. I don’t see the worry. Can anyone share their professional opinion if it should be a concern?

I don't see the worry either...but with that being said, this will be that one job that something like that happens just because they brought it up.
Can you fill that area with HDU scraps, or enclose it with thin aluminum bent over the top protruding section?

visual800

i hate to be stupid i read your post 3 times and im just not folling, do you have a diagram, how are they back to back with a 12" wall between them?

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You hafta order it by weight. In the sign industry, it's generally 10lb, 15lb and 20lb..... with 15lb being the most common.

If you're using any of these, with a foot of the sign above the structure, I would reinforce with a backer piece or fill the area in between with a built-up structure and flash it with a piece of aluminum.