• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from a new Merchant Supplier

signage

Welcome to the forums from PA...
Good idea to specialize with the needs of sign people and their computers!

ChiknNutz

Agreed, really nice intro there! Cool to have someone not in the sign business specifically, but has an interest just to learn about it, and also has an indirectly-related field. Neat!

Hey, I just put together a simple server with the new OS...Windows Home Server. I know this is nothing compared to a true server OS, but it does what I want it to do...and that is have a central file repository that all computers have access too AND performs nightly backups of the whole works. Here is what I built a few weeks ago (yes, all from Newegg). I'm in no way trying to steal your thunder, just passing this along as something else another business might be interested in that you could set up for them.

• Antec TITAN650 Black 1.0mm SECC Server Case 650W
  • ASUS P5M2-E T (LGA 775) Intel 3000 ATX Server Motherboard
  • Intel Xeon 3040 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
  • 2X Seagate ST3500631NS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
  • Kingston 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Server Memory
  • LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-04
  • MS Windows Home Server 32-Bit

I also have an external Maxtor 250GB USB drive so now I have over 1TB of storage. One cool feature about this OS is the ability to easily add/remove hard drives of various sizes and speeds, but they all add to the total shareable space.

Anyway, glad to have you on-board!

John M

Thanks for the warm welcome! The atmosphere at this site is another reason I was interested in joining. I've seen some other sign sites and they were a bit more, um.... "unrestrained."

Ken - Like Techman said, the average "gaming" video card is meant for 3d rendering so it wouldn't have much impact on RIP software. But, it may help in the design stage when using something like Photoshop or Corel. I was actually thinking of a separate thread to discuss video cards. After reading some older threads on this site I did some testing & benchmarking (2D) on my own and started to get a different opinion than I initally had. Thread coming soon!

I welcome everyone's input in all discussions. I don't get upset when others voice their opinion, especially in hardware discussion. It's far easier to work out all the bugs in a design before you start buying & assembling components. I'm happy to post a list of all components of a particualar machine to the board so others can critique what's being used; there are no secrets here!

Again, thanks for making me feel at home!

Oh, and GraphiXtreme -

You'll find that the value of that server far exceeds the cost of the components. Many people neglect backups until they've lost a drive or a whole machine. Most of you know that the time involved in these designs could never be recovered. The next phase for the sign shop here is to build a network attached storage setup with autoarchive. Not only will that be a good backup of the design files, it'll also make the data easily accessible when they add another workstation.