• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help! Brand new Royal Sovereign laminator, issues with reverse wound rolls loading.

psychopat

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a VS-300 printer, along with a brand new laminator from Grimco. It's a 32" Cold Pressure Sensitive Roll Laminator RSC820CLS.
I do mostly promotional item for our company, stickers etc. and as well as video game arcade restoration projects.

I am using Oraguard 210 laminate, I already went through almost half a 150 feet rolling trying to figure out the problem without any luck.
Following the manual that came with the laminator, I loaded the reverse wound roll with the film on top (see image with red notes on it)

attachment.php
attachment.php

I have everything setup well, I use a board to load the film and kraft paper underneath and I have no wrinkles. Then as soon as I laminate a foot or 2 the film goes up on the backing (see image) and get stuck on the protection visor. Even if I remove the visor when trying laminating, It will eventually get all messed up with tons of wrinkles too.

I tried adjusting the tension on both the take up reel and the film reel and didnt see any improvements. Any idea what else I could try or need to adjust?
Would appreciate any advices.

Thanks

Attachments

• loading films.png
    loading films.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,695
  • roll_jam.jpg
    roll_jam.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,158

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You should have Grimco come out and show you how to use the equipment they sold you, that would be the very first place I started.

papabud

Lone Wolf
from what i am seeing in the picture. you have a lot of slack in your film.
could just be cause of how you stopped. but if your take up roll is running faster than your feed speed. it will pull up with the slack.

psychopat

You should have Grimco come out and show you how to use the equipment they sold you, that would be the very first place I started.

That's true, but they charged over 300$ to assemble it and do a quick training. Assembly took 15 mins and was mostly setting up the stand.
I watched a bunch of videos prior and I figured it cant be that hard to load it up and laminate. I was thinking, the problem must be relating to a tension issue or maybe you guys might have a trick or 2 to recommend.

After wasting half a roll, maybe it would have been a good idea to have them set it up, unfortunately their closest office is 2-3 hours away so I will try to figure something out.

Thanks

psychopat

from what i am seeing in the picture. you have a lot of slack in your film.
could just be cause of how you stopped. but if your take up roll is running faster than your feed speed. it will pull up with the slack.

It does almost seem like the take up roll doesnt spin fast enough since the film always seems to go up.
Does the tension on the take up roll control the speed too usually? or its just adding tension?

Thanks

Rodan68

You need to add more tension on the top roll.
Since the material is reverse wound the top roll is rotating in the opposite direction.
You may have to flip the top roll holder so the top roll has some tension and is not spinning loosely.
I'm not sure if that's possible with that laminator though.
Add tension with you hand and see if that helps.

psychopat

You need to add more tension on the top roll.
Since the material is reverse wound the top roll is rotating in the opposite direction.
You may have to flip the top roll holder so the top roll has some tension and is not spinning loosely.
I'm not sure if that's possible with that laminator though.
Add tension with you hand and see if that helps.

ok thanks

I think I found the problem, the film roll seems to slip on top of the laminator roll insert (metal with rubber stripes).So no matter how much tension I set it at is ignored.

I am using a standard roll, is there any sort of adjustments that needs to be done on those aluminum inserts on the bar?

ok thanks

I think I found the problem, the film roll seems to slip on top of the laminator roll insert (metal with rubber stripes).So no matter how much tension I set it at is ignored.

I am using a standard roll, is there any sort of adjustments that needs to be done on those aluminum inserts on the bar?

I had similar issues with a printer where the core would just spin around the spindle and wasn't actaully being held in place. We ended up putting rubber bands around the spindle in a few areas to give it more friction on the inside of the core. Some mfg.s just have smaller or larger cores.

psychopat

I had similar issues with a printer where the core would just spin around the spindle and wasn't actaully being held in place. We ended up putting rubber bands around the spindle in a few areas to give it more friction on the inside of the core. Some mfg.s just have smaller or larger cores.

Awesome! I added a few rubber bands on the spindle and put the roll back and I think it did the trick. I was able to put more tension, the film peel off right at the bar now and no wrinkles!

Probably still need minor adjustments, but it's already working a lot better. I thought most of the core were the same size, maybe Oraguard use thinner material for the roll core, the thickness of a small elastic was enough to make it tight.

Thanks again for the help

boxerbay

yeah loosen the black collars and pull some of the orange rubber out a bit so it snags the inner roll better.

psychopat

yeah loosen the black collars and pull some of the orange rubber out a bit so it snags the inner roll better.

Will try that, thanks for the tip. I also contacted RS and they will be sending me thicker rubber (under warranty) so it should work better than the rubber band. They tend to move when you put the roll on.

Morph1

Print all
Hi there, did you resolve your problem ?
I have a similar situation but with the liner take up, the laminate runs with good tension but my liner crawls towards the roller,
it seems as the cardboard core is not holding over the liner take up rod...
I will try to adjust the the rubber bands on the rod core holders see if that helps.

psychopat

The rubber band did the trick for me, but I contacted Royal Sovereign and they also sent me (for free) thicker rubbers to put on the roll instead of the original ones. So that permanently fixed the issue and its much easier than using rubber band as they always rolled when I was trying to put the roll of laminate on since it was pretty tight.

Morph1

Print all
I have the same problem, I see videos on line showing how tight the liner / backer paper rolls around the chrome mid roller before it rolls on the take up core roll, my unit even after loosening the rubber bands and making the core tight fit I still get the backer slowly crawling onto the laminating roller crating ripple effect on the right side, I tried to tighten the top roller without any success...
Also I wanted to ask if there is any way of disabling the feed sensor, I personally can't stand that thing, I understand it's purpose but I do not need it...
and one last question, how do you guys use this laminator for mounting, I can not pass anything thicker than vinyl through the front due to the sensor stopping the procedure...

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks !

Morph1

Print all
I swear the GOD !, people that serviced that laminator were a bunch of idiots / imbeciles !
took the both covers off, calibrated the 2 sensors, adjusted tension on the take up roller and its all good...
Unreal when you see what some companies release as a ready to run equipment....
What gets me though as I used to have a 27" Royal Sovereign is the backward backer takeup setup on the 54" RS, not sure why it is different,
the 27" was a breeze to set up, why is the 54" backwards ? anyone ?