• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help choosing laminator

Laminatorstress

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which cold laminator to buy used.

I need one that can laminate materials that are 60" wide (or larger). I only use PSA films and the materials that I laminate are typically 10 foot long. I have had lot of problems because the materials are thin and get chewed up by some machines.

I recently sent back a GBC Arctic Titan 1064wfc because it got damaged I shipping. Even allowing for the damage, that machine didn't seem that reliable to me.

I have up to $5k to spend (which is why I was looking for a used one). Other than GBC and Royal Sovereign,which brands should I look out for? I want to avoid ending up with another Daige Solo (the worst purchase I ever made).

I do low volume high value jobs. I only laminate 2 pieces per day but the materials I use are very expensive. Using the wrong laminator has been a very costly mistake...

I am looking at a Royal Sovereign RSC-1650C 65". Is this a decent machine? I want one that just works and that can handle thin materials.

Any help would be appreciated.

rjssigns

We run a 65" Royal Sovereign. No issues once I figured out what it likes. Can laminate full rolls with very little drift.

One thing you may want to check into is a RollsRoller. Probably be perfect for what you're doing. http://www.rollsroller.com/

LarryB

I have a Royal Sovereign RSC and love it. Easy to use and no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend it.

Z SIGNS

Anybody out there with a flatbed have any problems with their machine not doing its job each and every time without failure ?

Roll to roll laminators are going to be a thing of the past very soon.
Unless of course you are doing 150' runs all the time

Most shops on this forum are doing small one offs.

Flatbeds are pricey but they pay for themselves very quickly

chafro

X2 on seal.

First lasted 12 years, needed a tech once and still works. We upgraded and got another seal 62" pro. We constantly do complete rolls, no problems.

chandrinator

Choosing a laminator as well, would like opinions.

Hi everyone, I've enjoyed reading this thread. I'm in charge of finding a decent laminator for my workplace, and have been doing some research. Pretty much everything we will be laminating will be on cast vinyl to be applied to vehicles (no forseeable wraps, though). I'm looking for three options: low-, mid-, and high-end options. We only need a 55" cold laminator, and I've narrowed my search down to the following:
Daige Solo
Seal 54 EL
Royal Sovereign RSC 1401CW
USTech WORF AK-500
What are your opinions on these as far as price, reliability and ease of use?
Thanks!

AF

Hi everyone, I've enjoyed reading this thread. I'm in charge of finding a decent laminator for my workplace, and have been doing some research. Pretty much everything we will be laminating will be on cast vinyl to be applied to vehicles (no forseeable wraps, though). I'm looking for three options: low-, mid-, and high-end options. We only need a 55" cold laminator, and I've narrowed my search down to the following:
Daige Solo
Seal 54 EL
Royal Sovereign RSC 1401CW
USTech WORF AK-500
What are your opinions on these as far as price, reliability and ease of use?
Thanks!

You didn't state your budget, but all of the units listed above are the entry-level bare-minimum models to get the job done. Let us know your budget, and check some recent threads for some quality used equipment that has come up for sale.

mrugen

Buy for Now and the Future

If you only need a cold laminator now that will save some money, but what about 5 or 10 years from now? Try to buy ONE level above what you think you need and possibly save some money and hassle later.

chandrinator

Laminator, and now, a printer!

You do make some good points... I'm actually combining a laminator into my package deal along with buying a printer, too. Combo both, low-end $15k, mid-range $25K, high-end $35K. I am also researching 54" printers, but have not looked much in-depth into them yet. Possible considerations: Mimaki Workhorse, Mutoh Value Jet 1324, Epson SC-S50600 and need to look into Color Painter. I used to use a Roland VersaCamm 540-SP, and when it worked, it did pretty well, but not well enough... Suggestions welcome, now that you know what I'm working on and with!
Thank you all!
Note: A good laminator is definitely a must, but as long as it does the job, it doesn't need to be fancy. I don't need heat assist, and would like a foot pedal. (duh, I know :smile:) The printer is what I am more concerned about.