• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help estimating hours on a painted sign

Redwave Signs

A customer would like me to paint a huge sign for him. I am hoping to get some help pricing this. I have painted smaller signs before, but nothing of this size. If you are experienced in painting signs what do you estimate the time would be. I will be working off a scissor lift and will have someone painting as I draw out the letters. I have a plan as to how to do the job, I am just unsure about pricing. I understand the amount of time will depend on my experience, but how long would it take you...

Thank you in advance.

Dimensions 3'x48'

Jillbeans

It took me 16 hours to do a double-sided 10'x20' metal sign.
I was in a lift.
First I scrubbed it, then primed it, then painted.
I estimated 24 hours but my brother, who was running the lift, rushed me like crazy.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 95
  • w7.jpg
    w7.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 101
  • w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 106
  • w8.jpg
    w8.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 94

MikePro

2 men, full day, and an extra half-day for someone to go back and finish solo?

double it, just to be safe!

Redwave Signs

Thank you for the input.

I sent the customer a quote for a banner, painted lettering and aluminum panels lettered. I should hear back form them in the next few days.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
A customer would like me to paint a huge sign for him. I am hoping to get some help pricing this. I have painted smaller signs before, but nothing of this size. If you are experienced in painting signs what do you estimate the time would be. I will be working off a scissor lift and will have someone painting as I draw out the letters. I have a plan as to how to do the job, I am just unsure about pricing. I understand the amount of time will depend on my experience, but how long would it take you...

Thank you in advance.

Dimensions 3'x48'

How about a pic? Basic layout or complex? how may colors, outlines, shades etc. Are you lettering the wall or existing sign panels?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not knowing any layout or complexity of your project.... there's no way to give you any real information.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it doesn't really fit the bill here, but he wasn't very specific anyway..... so, take all the shots ya need Jill...... :U Rock:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It looks like your measurements are a little off. What you have drawn there is closer to a 48" x 432" job.... or a 4' x 36'.

Based on what you have there:

It doesn't look like flat terrain, so you might have a little trouble using scaffolding. So, if you don't rent any equipment, you're gonna have to do this off a ladder. That'll take about a whole long day. 10 to 12 hours. First you clean the area, then pounce your letters, cut them in... and then fill them in. You can probably do the first two lines in about 1-1/2 hours. After that about two letter at a time. Two letters at about 1/2 hour for the pair. Now, don't forget to include your moving ladders and up and down the ladder for various things like changing from pounce mode to lettering mode, changing of brushes, getting tired and taking small breaks here and there.

Good luck.................​

Redwave Signs

Thank you Gino. The pic is a little deceiving. On the other side of the wall there is a concrete driveway, so I am able to drive a scissor lift through there. And I measured the wall already (3'x48' letters will work). The drawing is not to scale.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In that case, you can do this in about 5 to 6 hours... even with limited skills in painting. Just don't thin your paint and take some wall coloring touch up to cover over drips.

I'm not sure what you mean about the size being deceiving...... I was going by the building itself, not the drawing.

Between those two down spouts is around 40' or so, based on the number of blocks in the picture, unless they're some odd size. I would do another measurement if I were you.

Redwave Signs

I am painting the side of the building not the concrete wall. I measured the building so I am correct in my measurements. The spacing between the ridges on the panels is 12" OC and there are 48 ridges between the downspouts.

John Butto

Very impressive...

It took me 16 hours to do a double-sided 10'x20' metal sign.
I was in a lift.
First I scrubbed it, then primed it, then painted.
I estimated 24 hours but my brother, who was running the lift, rushed me like crazy.
Love....Jill

For you to go up to that height and hand letter that sign is something you should be very proud of.

Jillbeans

If that's corrugated charge extra.
I could probably do that in 12 hours alone or 8 with my partner, Chilly Billy.